Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a credit increase from CITI without HP

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Trying to get a credit increase from CITI without HP

My account is 6 months old (Costco Visa), but when I requested a credit increase 3 days ago I was denied (SP), the letter just arrived and said that my account hasnt been open long enogth, is this normal? 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Trying to get a credit increase from CITI without HP

Looking at your approval thread, it seems that 6 months ago would have been a few days prior to you asking.  I did a search through approvals and there seem to be a few instances of CLIs as early as 3 months on that card.  No clock resets with Citi for a denied CLI increase, so maybe just try again in a few weeks?  Are you seeing the SP language when asking?

Message 2 of 12
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Looking at your approval thread, it seems that 6 months ago would have been a few days prior to you asking.  I did a search through approvals and there seem to be a few instances of CLIs as early as 3 months on that card.  No clock resets with Citi for a denied CLI increase, so maybe just try again in a few weeks?  Are you seeing the SP language when asking?

Yes, they said that they well not need a credit file.

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 3 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No harm at all then in asking again at a later date. 

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of something like locked CRAs and an attempted HP that resulted in a generic reason code.  When I would ask too early before 6 months was up on my Citi cards, I would rarely get the "it has been less than 6 months since the last credit line increase" reason, but instead would get something like "too many accounts opened in the past 12 months."  But then a day or two later, instant approval.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope you get your CLI, OP! Keep us posted.

Message 5 of 12
donkort
Valued Contributor

Just got refused for a soft pull credit limit increase from Citibank.

They think my FICO is still 701.

Good luck with your CLI.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to get one after 6 months, denied. same reason. asked again 30 days later, approved. like the others were saying i dont think you have to wait a long time if denied. if they say no, try again next month....

Message 7 of 12
donkort
Valued Contributor

I've had the card for almost 1.5 years.  I used to just about max it out until I paid it off recently.  Never got above 80% utilization, though.

I think it's because they have my credit report from last month, rather than from today.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 8 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sorry about the denial.  As long as it was only a SP, no damage was done

( except to maybe your ego )

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:

My account is 6 months old (Costco Visa), but when I requested a credit increase 3 days ago I was denied (SP), the letter just arrived and said that my account hasnt been open long enogth, is this normal? 

I've tried on my Double Cash card every month since 61 days and have received the same reason as you each time-"Not open long enough to be considered for an increase." I'm half way through my 4th statement at this point. I read widely varying DPs for initial CLIs just as K stated earlier. To me it just looks like they're not even considering a decision for us yet, no approval or denial, just not ready for us to ask just yet. I'm going to try the day after each statement cuts until I get either an approval or a firm denial. Hope this helps as another DP for you. Good luck!  

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.