cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Chase recon attempts - should I continue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Chase recon attempts - should I continue?

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and credit cards in general, so I apologize in advance if my post isn't up to code.

I applied for the Chase Sapphire Sapphire Reserve a couple days ago and got denied. Today I called the reconsideration line twice and got denied both times again, for having too few accounts. I'm wondering if I should continue calling (tomorrow or at a later date), or if anyone has had any luck. Mainly, I'm wondering if this is one of their "hard and fast" rules, or if there really is some degree of subjectivity to it.

I only have one credit card, which is the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which I received 9 months ago with a 2k limit. My FICO-EX credit score (the one cited on my denial letter) is 751.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two Chase recon attempts - should I continue?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and credit cards in general, so I apologize in advance if my post isn't up to code.

I applied for the Chase Sapphire Sapphire Reserve a couple days ago and got denied. Today I called the reconsideration line twice and got denied both times again, for having too few accounts. I'm wondering if I should continue calling (tomorrow or at a later date), or if anyone has had any luck. Mainly, I'm wondering if this is one of their "hard and fast" rules, or if there really is some degree of subjectivity to it.

I only have one credit card, which is the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which I received 9 months ago with a 2k limit. My FICO-EX credit score (the one cited on my denial letter) is 751.

Thanks!

No, you should not continue; you will not be able to convince anyone to reverse the decision.

1.  You have a very "thin" credit history with only one card with a $2K limit. You need to work on building your credit file before going after cards like the Sapphire Reserve.

2.  The Sapphire Reserve is a Visa Infinite card with a minimum $10K starting limit; Chase will not approve it for someone who cannot demonstrate that they can handle high credit limits.

3.  The general feeling in these forums is that Chase prefers at least one year of credit history.  That's not necessarily true since lots of people are approved for Chase cards with less than one year of history, but one year puts you in a much better position to pursue what is Chase's consumer flagship card.

Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, calling again will not yield fruitful results. More than likely they've already placed notes on the application of any previous interactions.

It appears that at this point, based on the last $2K CFU approval, they are unwilling to extend any additional exposure. The CSR's minimum SL is $10K, and while there may be some circumstances in which there are approvals with thin files, yours likely didn't yield the optimal results at this time.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like they want to see you use thst CC for a year or so then try again.

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

I dont know if any other cards would fit your spending habits, but seeing how you only have one, I'd try adding another one or two, wait 6-9 months, then trying Chase again. 

While lack of higher limit cards and low age are  factors in denial, sometimes thinness of the file can be, too. 

If no other cards are of interest to you and you have no need for additional credit, disregard this post. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSR is a 10K minimun starting limit, have you tried applying for the CSP, it has a 5K starting limit and they may feel more comfortable with giving you that.

Message 6 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome OP

Unfortunately, in this case, the squeaky wheel doesn’t get the oil. Since you did not provide us with any DPs and your file appears extremely thin, I suggest checking the prequal pages for Discover and AmX. Those 2 lenders may prove fruitful if your credit profile is in order. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.