cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird notice when applying for CapOne CLI

tag

Weird notice when applying for CapOne CLI

So, basically I've been applying for a CapOne CLI on my platinum card in which I've had for almost 4 years. My credit limit right now is $400. Every time I request for one, I get a letter saying, "credit limit cannot be given upon request" or something like that. What can I do so I can get my CLI? I make over $120k/yr grossly joint income & my utilization is under 10% for my credit card. I also make my payments on time every month and pay more than the minimum balance due.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird notice when applying for CapOne CLI

There are some posting through out the Forum reviewing the fact that Cap1 has credit cards that fit different levels of credit profiles. Depending on where a person is at in the credit world they have a card.

Some of the cards are focused on new to credit and rebuilders with the cards restricted to very low credit limits "bucketed" is the term. They have very limited growth opportunities. Then Cap1 has some cards that have limts in the four and five figure credit limits for the credit profiles that are more mature or free of past problems. As a general rule in my reading, a person needs to seek other cards from Cap1 or others to get away from the "bucketed" cards. Speaking from experience, I had a card that started at $200 and grew to $750 CL over eight years. Closed it and moved on. Truth, I did not know about "bucketed" cards and credit profiles until reading around on the MyFico Forum.

Guessing that your card is bucketed and your easiest route may be to seek new card(s). Read around the Forum for ideas and ask questions like you are ... many very infomed posters here. Good luck in your mission!

Message 2 of 7
bigseegar
Established Contributor

a) You can only receive a CLI on a Cap 1 product every 6 months b) looks and sounds like you have a "bucketed" card that isn't going to grow. c) You also said in another post that you have quite a few past Late pays on this card. That's playing in to the denial as well. d) You also said in another post that you have two collections on your reports with one hitting just 6 months ago, that's also playing a big factor. If you in fact do have a household income of $120K you really shouldn't even being carrying a balance at all on a card with such a low limit. You said its at 10% UTL, that's only $40...pay that off monthly.

Message 3 of 7
jcooks
Established Contributor

I was getting that message along with "recent use of the credit line has been low" after I PC'd one of the cards from a platinum to QS or QSone, can't remember.  I have both the QS and QSone, and one of them just gets recent use has been low and the other gets recen use has been low and this account is not elegible for credit limit increases.

Did you recently PC that card?

Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry, that card is bucketed and simply won't grow. You'd have to apply for a new card with them or find a different lender to open a new card with if you want higher limits. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
Shaunn

I received that message when I requested a cli on my platinum secured card with capital one.

Message 6 of 7
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

So, basically I've been applying for a CapOne CLI on my platinum card in which I've had for almost 4 years. My credit limit right now is $400. Every time I request for one, I get a letter saying, "credit limit cannot be given upon request" or something like that. What can I do so I can get my CLI? I make over $120k/yr grossly joint income & my utilization is under 10% for my credit card. I also make my payments on time every month and pay more than the minimum balance due.

The phrase I bolded in my experience has been given on recently (less than 90 days ago) product change/new transfer of account to Capital One cards and a secured card.

If the card is a secured card that you've had for four year's, you won't ever be able to increase it's limit... your choices if this is the case are; close the account, or live with the low limit.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.