Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to request CLI with Capital One

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

When to request CLI with Capital One

I received my last CLI from Capital One back in October so I am planning to hit the request button in April.  The problem I have is I don't know the exact date that I received the last CLI on.  Is this important?  Does it have to be exactly 6 months from the day of last CLI?  My one year anniversary is also in April so I am hoping that will help with a large increase.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
dmjohnson

Re: When to request CLI with Capital One

You should be able to request at any time, if you are not eligible their system will tell you why, such as "There has been a recent Credit Limit Change." You can try every day until it gives you an offer. If you are eligible, Cap1 will most likely counter with an offer if they can't grant the full increase, in my experience anyway.

I did it yesterday, just for laughs. I am in credit steps for my QS1 and decided to try the button to see what happened, utilization was alomst 95% due to a vacation we just took. always paid on time. asked for an increase to $1000 limit and they countered with $100 increase for a $400 limit. got curious and tried again, changing some stuff, (monthly spend on all cards, projected monthly spend on this card, and new limit request) Requested $2000 and still was offered $100 increase. I just accepted it, as I will have my credit steps increase in a couple of months, this is basically double dipping. At this point in my credit journey I am just blessed they originally took a chance on me and that they even offered me anything.

Message 2 of 22
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@dmjohnsonwrote:

You should be able to request at any time, if you are not eligible their system will tell you why, such as "There has been a recent Credit Limit Change." You can try every day until it gives you an offer. If you are eligible, Cap1 will most likely counter with an offer if they can't grant the full increase, in my experience anyway.

I did it yesterday, just for laughs. I am in credit steps for my QS1 and decided to try the button to see what happened, utilization was alomst 95% due to a vacation we just took. always paid on time. asked for an increase to $1000 limit and they countered with $100 increase for a $400 limit. got curious and tried again, changing some stuff, (monthly spend on all cards, projected monthly spend on this card, and new limit request) Requested $2000 and still was offered $100 increase. I just accepted it, as I will have my credit steps increase in a couple of months, this is basically double dipping. At this point in my credit journey I am just blessed they originally took a chance on me and that they even offered me anything.

Yeah I was in the credit steps as well.  I didn't receive a CLI until after receiving my credit steps increase of $500 and it was only for $300.  My SL (Platinum) was $3K, then I upgraded the QS, got my $500 step bonus for $3,500 then got my CLI to $300 to my current CL of $3.8k.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do it now, let us know what you get...$100k? lol
Message 4 of 22
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

You got jokes, huh?

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@A1Creditwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

You got jokes, huh?

Just hoping for OP to get a big CLI Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading this thread, I decided to take the chance again, just to see what would happen (I hadn't had any luck until now with CLI requests) on my Quicksilver MC ($3,500 CL), and got a $2,500 boost to $6K. Details in Credit Card Approvals.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look online in your Documents (not Statements) there should be one for your last CLI which will give you the date
Message 8 of 22
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
If you look online in your Documents (not Statements) there should be one for your last CLI which will give you the date

I tried that but couldn't find it.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@A1Creditwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I tried that but couldn't find it.

Are you sure about that? There should have been a letter dated on the day in October 2017 when you made your successful application reporting your approval. When I got my own CLI just now, the popup told me I would be getting that letter in my statements-and-documents folder soon.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.