cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't my Capital One steps program kicking in for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why isn't my Capital One steps program kicking in for CLI?

So It's close to posting my 6th on time payment, 6 statements with a zero balance every month all while using 90% and paying down to zero before statement date and stil have not recieved the CLI on neither of my Quicksilver visa and Quicksilver One MC , what gives? 

I even yesterday submitted a CLI on the cap1 website and got the "account is too new"? 

The step program states after 5 on time payments there would be a CLI .....im on my 6th and still nothing not even when I manually asked for one?

Whats going on???

btw combined credit with the 2 capital one quicksilvers are $4.3k plus I also have a 4 month old instalment auto loan from capital one for $24k now its down to $22k ....could I have reached the limit that Capital One is willing to lend me? Granted I make $62k 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why isn't my Capital One steps program kicking in for CLI?

I'd try letting statements post then pay in full. I prepay my account with Cap 1 monthly when I use it hard to keep the utilization below 9% but allow the statement to show some usage. Paying the card to zero may be hurting you rather than helping. 

After 6 months I did receive a nice CLI on mine by hitting the button. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to make 5 Payments.... so if you have 6 Statements but 1 of them you didn’t use the card so you didn’t pay... that one month won’t count.

Also... are you sure you got the credit steps? Did you get a letter in the mail? Most do... but Not everyone gets it.

Maybe your next statement you will get it. You can always call but CapOne reps are notorious for giving different answers depending on who you get. GL.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used my card every month sometimes using 50% of the limit and paying back down to 0 before statement close date. Does capital one require us to carry a balance every month for the steps?!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure the regular quicksilver is part of the steps program.  I think it is just the platinum and quicksilver one.  The wording on the site says "Get access to a higher credit line with Credit Steps after making your first 5 monthly payments on time" so.... that would lead me to believe that a statement would need to be generated with a balance and that would then generate said monthly payment.  I dont know for sure, but I believe the whole point is to make sure people can handle being given a due date and payment amount and then make it on time.  Letting the statement cut with a balance doesn't mean your carrying a balance.  If you let the statement cut for $100 and then only pay $25, you would then be carrying the remaining $75 as a balance.

I could be completely wrong, but that was how I interpreted it. 

Message 5 of 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Did they send you a letter specifically telling them that you were in the Credit Steps program? If you are you would have received a letter
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both a quicksilver and quicksilver one I'm referring to one and according to the Rep on the phone she told me it wouldn't kick in until the 7th statement and I looked through my statements and 1 out of the 5th has a $0 due on itrest did have a balance
Message 7 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

You seem to be paying off before the statement generates if im understanding you correctly... 

DON'T...

If you have steps on your account... PIF AFTER the statement generates....

or leave some on there pre statement generates then PIF after it....

This might be the problem...

-J

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome okay I got 4 statements out of the 5 that had balances I just need 1 more!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.