cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not US Bank?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
New Contributor

Why not US Bank?

I recently applied for the US Bank Cash + card because I love their option to choose two 5% categories a month.  They gave me the 7-10 day wait message.  I called today to check my status...my application  was not approved.  I have no previous history with US Bank.  I have an 80K income and credit scores in the mid 700s...no legit reason to decline me exists IMHO.  So today I got an invitation to apply for the Bank of America card in the mail...it’s not as attractive as the US Bank one but it does offer 3% cash back on a category of my choosing, 2% on wholesale clubs (I like Sams and Costco- though I already have the Citi Costco Visa), and a $200 bonus.  I was instantly approved for an 8K SL with BoA.  I also have no previous history with BoA.  So what is up with US Bank- ny ideas why they give me the cold shoulder?  I think they both pulled my Experian, so it wasn’t a credit report difference...

Wells Fargo Cashwise Visa (2K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (1.5K), Discover It (16.5K), Chase Freedom (2.3K), Capital One Quicksilver (6750), Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards (7.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (10K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (6K), Amazon Store Card (2200), Exxon-Mobil Card (1200), Citi Best Buy Visa (4K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K)PayPal Credit (3.5K)

EQ 735 TU 766 EX 754
21 REPLIES 21
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?


@Bandit5160 wrote:

I recently applied for the US Bank Cash + card because I love their option to choose two 5% categories a month.  They gave me the 7-10 day wait message.  I called today to check my status...my application  was not approved.  I have no previous history with US Bank.  I have an 80K income and credit scores in the mid 700s...no legit reason to decline me exists IMHO.  So today I got an invitation to apply for the Bank of America card in the mail...it’s not as attractive as the US Bank one but it does offer 3% cash back on a category of my choosing, 2% on wholesale clubs (I like Sams and Costco- though I already have the Citi Costco Visa), and a $200 bonus.  I was instantly approved for an 8K SL with BoA.  I also have no previous history with BoA.  So what is up with US Bank- ny ideas why they give me the cold shoulder?  I think they both pulled my Experian, so it wasn’t a credit report difference...


 

 

There is a reason. Based on your previous threads you have several new accounts. 

If you really want that card, you'll need to let your accounts age before applying again 

EX 759 EQ 774 TU 753


Message 2 of 22
Regular Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?

USBank is almost as elusive as CUs to understanding their approvals.

How many cards have you opened in the past year? BoA is usually pretty sensitive to that too so it makes me wonder.
Message 3 of 22
New Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?

I have opened 3 accounts this past year...the BoA approval today makes it 4 now.  US Bank and Citi Best Buy (who approved me this spring) are the only ones ever to decline me.   But I know why Citi Best Buy declined me two years ago- I had a new Citi account approved too recently before that app.  And I know better than to apply for any Chase Card for a long while with their 5/24 thing.  But I don’t know why US Bank said no- guess I will know for sure in 5-8 days now.  

Wells Fargo Cashwise Visa (2K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (1.5K), Discover It (16.5K), Chase Freedom (2.3K), Capital One Quicksilver (6750), Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards (7.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (10K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (6K), Amazon Store Card (2200), Exxon-Mobil Card (1200), Citi Best Buy Visa (4K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K)PayPal Credit (3.5K)

EQ 735 TU 766 EX 754
Message 4 of 22
New Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?


@Remedios wrote:

@Bandit5160 wrote:

I recently applied for the US Bank Cash + card because I love their option to choose two 5% categories a month.  They gave me the 7-10 day wait message.  I called today to check my status...my application  was not approved.  I have no previous history with US Bank.  I have an 80K income and credit scores in the mid 700s...no legit reason to decline me exists IMHO.  So today I got an invitation to apply for the Bank of America card in the mail...it’s not as attractive as the US Bank one but it does offer 3% cash back on a category of my choosing, 2% on wholesale clubs (I like Sams and Costco- though I already have the Citi Costco Visa), and a $200 bonus.  I was instantly approved for an 8K SL with BoA.  I also have no previous history with BoA.  So what is up with US Bank- ny ideas why they give me the cold shoulder?  I think they both pulled my Experian, so it wasn’t a credit report difference...


 

 

There is a reason. Based on your previous threads you have several new accounts. 

If you really want that card, you'll need to let your accounts age before applying again 


This sounds very plausible to me.  I might have to wait about a year before trying for this card again.  And something better could come along in the meantime...

Wells Fargo Cashwise Visa (2K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (1.5K), Discover It (16.5K), Chase Freedom (2.3K), Capital One Quicksilver (6750), Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards (7.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (10K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (6K), Amazon Store Card (2200), Exxon-Mobil Card (1200), Citi Best Buy Visa (4K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K)PayPal Credit (3.5K)

EQ 735 TU 766 EX 754
Message 5 of 22
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why not US Bank?

A term you see used around the Forum is recon! May want to consider that and see if there is any way they will review your request?
Starting Score: 000
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 22
New Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?


@Dinosaur wrote:
A term you see used around the Forum is recon! May want to consider that and see if there is any way they will review your request?

I guess it couldn’t hurt to try.  The worst they can do is tell me no again.  I am not going to let them do another hard pull though...

Wells Fargo Cashwise Visa (2K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (1.5K), Discover It (16.5K), Chase Freedom (2.3K), Capital One Quicksilver (6750), Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards (7.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (10K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (6K), Amazon Store Card (2200), Exxon-Mobil Card (1200), Citi Best Buy Visa (4K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K)PayPal Credit (3.5K)

EQ 735 TU 766 EX 754
Message 7 of 22
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why not US Bank?

Bandit5160 do understand about the no second hard pull (these additional hard pulls are so stupid anyway from my seat). What the Forum seems to do is support the idea of not falling over every time a lender says no. Many seem to get reconsideration with some happiness and some not. But, "nothing ventured nothing gained". For myself approvals always seem to go to two days (never automatic) and for sure a manual review and sometimes I have to reach out for a telephone call with a underwriter supervisor to achieve my goal and underwriting has been good and polite.

Starting Score: 000
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 22
Regular Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?

Consider freezing a couple of minor credit reports before applying to US Bank for a credit card.  Seems to help odds of approval.

 

 

8-10% on Hotels
5-6% on Groceries
5% on Gas, Amazon, Home Utilities, Department Stores, Sporting Goods
4-5% on Restaurants and Bars
3% on Other Travel
2% on Everything Else
***************
Plus Ebates, BeFrugal, TopCashBack, etc.
Message 9 of 22
Super Contributor

Re: Why not US Bank?


@Bandit5160 wrote:

@Dinosaur wrote:
A term you see used around the Forum is recon! May want to consider that and see if there is any way they will review your request?

I guess it couldn’t hurt to try.  The worst they can do is tell me no again.  I am not going to let them do another hard pull though...


Did they actually deny the app, or you got a message?  US Bank puts many accounts through manual review.  A Recon is unlikely to influence this. 

 

Wait for the letter. 

 

Being a USBank customer, with checking or a mortgage, is helpful to get credit cards. Talking with a banker in branch can be a better way to app as well. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.