cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure

Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

Just approved for a NFCU AMEX card. I’ve been continuously denied for an AMEX platinum card. Was wondering if having the NFCU AMEX card will increase the approval odds of the Amex platinum card.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Contributor

Re: Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

Congrats on your approval but unfortunately, no. The NFCU Amex uses the Amex network but isn’t an actual Amex card.

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 2 of 9
Established Contributor

It will affect the application the same as any other card with the same CL and issue date, for good or for bad. (May help by reducing utilization - may hurt by reducing account age.) Probably no extra brownie points for using the Amex network, though.

FICO 8 scores are deceptively high. My profile is very young with a lot of recently opened accounts and large number of inquiries. My AU card isn't on TransUnion, so I won't have a FICO score there until October. No derogs. Over 5/24 until summer 2021.

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 045/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 05/19-08/19.

Goal cards: Ducks Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve (or Preferred, haven't decided). Increased CLs across the board.
Long-term goal: Legitimate 770s on EX/EQ/TU, able to qualify for most normal credit products. Prime-rate mortgage.
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Lpfan2002, welcome to the forums.

As mentioned further upthread, NFCU underwriting is separate altogether from American Express National Bank.

What are the specific reasons cited for the denial on the AmEx Platinum?
Message 4 of 9

Low age of accounts and a 5 year old charge off.
Message 5 of 9
Valued Contributor

@Lpfan2002 wrote:
Just approved for a NFCU AMEX card. I’ve been continuously denied for an AMEX platinum card. Was wondering if having the NFCU AMEX card will increase the approval odds of the Amex platinum card.

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

As already mentioned up thread, NFCU uses the AmEx network but is not an AmEx card.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 6 of 9

@Lpfan2002 wrote:
Low age of accounts and a 5 year old charge off.

Ok.  Is the charge off with American Express or another lender?   Is your overall credit profile fairly new?  Are you rebuilding or...?

Message 7 of 9

Not with AMEX. credit is in repair. That card is a goal card. I was just hoping that I can do what I can to build a relationship with AMEX to qualify for that card. AMEX wont approve me for any of their cards.

Message 8 of 9
Senior Contributor

@Lpfan2002 wrote:

Not with AMEX. credit is in repair. That card is a goal card. I was just hoping that I can do what I can to build a relationship with AMEX to qualify for that card. AMEX wont approve me for any of their cards.

KEEP CHECKING BACK. If you cant get in the front door, see if you are preapproved on their website for any card and apply for it.  That will put you alot closer to your goal card

3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>08/2019 CCT EX 829 TU 848 EQ 837
Jack Webb: "That figures. Now let me see if I got the facts straight here. Cleaning woman Clara Clifford discovered your clean copper clappers kept in a closet were copped by Claude Cooper the kleptomaniac from Cleveland. Now, is that about it?"
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.