cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your income on applications... be honest :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your income on applications... be honest :)

I supposed it depends on everyone's personal credit portfolio.  You sound pretty established.  For those that are looking for better odds at approvals and/or better starting CLs I would think they'd want to disclose their total income, not income minus 15%. 

Message 41 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always put my actual income but I include my annual bonuses as well since I have received bonuses 8 out of the last 10 years of my career.  I have included child support payments received when I recently applied for the Amex Hilton and the Chase Slate since I felt I was on the borderline for approval. I figured the extra 12k would help my approval.  My salary plus bonus is over $100k so not sure if I really needed to do this but figured it couldn't hurt. 

I think honesty is the best policy... but I can understand why someone would strech the truth a bit.  If you make $40k annually and put $60k - not sure if that is so horrible.  But if you make $40k and put you make $100k - not sure if that is wise.  I think getting a CL with a lendor that matches your income is a great start and then you can nuture the relationship and "earn" the CLI's by showing you are responsible borrower. 

As someone who has had credit issues in the past (498 credit score approx 3 years ago) - I have finally gotten a grip on my finances and part of this journey meant being honest to myself about my finances. Now that I am in a great place with good scores - I wouldn't imagine lying on a credit card application.  

Message 42 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last post in this thread, and I'll shut up. My feeling is that OP is looking for validation of a decision he made to lie about his income.

Ironically, he asked us to 'be honest' in our responses. SMH. Good luck in your journey OP. Smiley Happy
Message 43 of 104
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My last post in this thread, and I'll shut up. My feeling is that OP is looking for validation of a decision he made to lie about his income.

Ironically, he asked us to 'be honest' in our responses. SMH. Good luck in your journey OP. Smiley Happy

It's possible. But, I try not to judge people for that, I know not their struggle. Eeveryone has lied at some point for some reason that they thought they needed to, even you. 

Edit: I'm not saying it's right, just that it happens. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 44 of 104
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

So is the next discussion about who is really being honest about really being honest. The fish aren't biting , but as a former credit card company collections worker I assure you that people overstate their income or that they even have income.

Message 45 of 104
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@incognitony wrote:

So is the next discussion about who is really being honest about really being honest. The fish aren't biting , but as a former credit card company collections worker I assure you that people overstate their income or that they even have income.

Wait... so is this true or are you overstating? Be honest...er.  Smiley Very Happy

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 46 of 104
Superpet39
Regular Contributor

I actually state what was on my last W-2 form (rounding DOWN to the nearest $100), I just figure if im ever called on it (like discover did) I have proof......... im not perfect, but I never even thought of fudging my reported income

Message 47 of 104
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@incognitony wrote:

Wait... so is this true or are you overstating? Be honest...er.  Smiley Very Happy

So you get $700 monthly SSI? Your app said you made 80k a year LOL

Message 48 of 104
Superpet39
Regular Contributor

Can someone definitively say " hypothetically "  that fudging say 10k will get you a higher CL? 

(With my luck, the first time I try it, will result in them asking for proof)😂😂😂😂😂

Message 49 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we should now ask the creator of the thread why this particular question? Did you think most people lied when it came to it based on the limits received or did you ask just because...........Smiley TongueSmiley Tongue.  Go ahead, tell itSmiley Happy..

Message 50 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.