cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your income on applications... be honest :)

tag
Superpet39
Regular Contributor

Re: Your income on applications... be honest :)

@Anonymous wrote:

As someone who has had credit issues in the past (498 credit score approx 3 years ago) - I have finally gotten a grip on my finances and part of this journey meant being honest to myself about my finances. Now that I am in a great place with good scores - I wouldn't imagine lying on a credit card application.  

I think this is exactly why I don't think I have tried lying about my income! As the above post described me perfectly.

Message 51 of 104
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I think we should now ask the creator of the thread why this particular question? Did you think most people lied when it came to it based on the limits received or did you ask just because...........Smiley TongueSmiley Tongue.  Go ahead, tell itSmiley Happy..

My thoughts exactly.  I think this to myself every time I see someone rant about the Amex AR.  I often think, did the person lie about their income to get a higher limit, and when Amex calls them out on it by asking for proof of income, they cry foul and say it's "intrusive".  After all, they have just about every other piece of personal/identifying info about us from what we include at the time of apping...INCLUDING the income we stated at time of apping or CLI request.  I just don't get what the hostility is behind it if there's nothing to hide.

Message 52 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP said in first post he added $4k to income when requesting CLI recently. I couldn't care less, but he asked what we thought. I wish him luck with that is what I think.
Message 53 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, a whopping $4k which was about 5% just to take me to the next $10k level.  I wasn't "looking for validation" I just wondered how many people did put their actual income... a little more, a lot more, etc.  Hence the purpose of the thread which has generated plenty of responses in 24 hours and more than answered the question that I originally asked.  And if you reread my original post, I didn't "ask what you [anyone] thought" about my situation, I was inquiring about others past situations.

Message 54 of 104
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

This forum is but a small sampling of the wider world of credit card consumers. There is a reason they verify income on some folks. I bet it happens far more often than not. Most who have posted here have decent incomes and have no reason to milk their income for all it's worth. That is by no means the norm. I don't know anyone personally who has a 6 digit income without including their spouses income.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 55 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

I state actual income.  I had to recon PenFed and DCU and gave them proof to help in approval but not because they requested it.  I think in helped their decisons.

Message 56 of 104
Superpet39
Regular Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

This forum is but a small sampling of the wider world of credit card consumers. There is a reason they verify income on some folks. I bet it happens far more often than not. Most who have posted here have decent incomes and have no reason to milk their income for all it's worth. That is by no means the norm. I don't know anyone personally who has a 6 digit income without including their spouses income.

You mean I could have used the wife's income too 🤔

Message 57 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup, a whopping $4k which was about 5% just to take me to the next $10k level.  I wasn't "looking for validation" I just wondered how many people did put their actual income... a little more, a lot more, etc.  Hence the purpose of the thread which has generated plenty of responses in 24 hours and more than answered the question that I originally asked.  And if you reread my original post, I didn't "ask what you [anyone] thought" about my situation, I was inquiring about others past situations.

But you did state in another thread on same subject

"So it's probably not the worst thing in the world to inflate your income a little bit, say 15-20% since the chances of them asking for verification is probably pretty small"

Inflating your income 15-20% is not a 'little' bit.

Message 58 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually surprised that more CC companies don't verify income.  I mean I guess that would be quite a hassle, involving a lot more paperwork and/or legwork to either approve or deny someone.  I imagine though that there are plenty of people out there that are unemployed with zero income that state otherwise on credit card applications and the chances of them being "good" customers, should they be approved for the card, are slim to none.

Message 59 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, based on the reply given prior to that post.  Obviously I'm responding to what someone else in that thread said, as I already stated above that I inflated my income 5%.  Actually 4.1%, but who's counting at this point as the dead horse continues to receive combinations.

Message 60 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.