Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cap one Venture X declined

tag
cgn11963
Established Member

cap one Venture X declined

To be honest just getting card for the 100k points for bus class plane tix.  But seriously, 830 scores across the board. No new cards or inquiries since 2020. Just 1 new card in the last 2 years. over 350k income and declined. Just got the email... too many revolving accounts. 4 amex cards 2 charge and 2 revolvers. 3 chase cards. A Discover ,a citi Prestige and a citi AA executive. And a NFCU flagship. No store cards. Utilization at 1% with 340K total credit lines. Only loan is through BMW for a car. over 2 yrs old. 

Inquiries 1/24 with 1 new card.

The only reason I did this is the 100k is gone on 3/14.

How does this happen?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
KingPredator
Regular Contributor

Re: cap one Venture X declined

@cgn11963 wrote:

To be honest just getting card for the 100k points for bus class plane tix.  But seriously, 830 scores across the board. No new cards or inquiries since 2020. Just 1 new card in the last 2 years. over 350k income and declined. Just got the email... too many revolving accounts. 4 amex cards 2 charge and 2 revolvers. 3 chase cards. A Discover ,a citi Prestige and a citi AA executive. And a NFCU flagship. No store cards. Utilization at 1% with 340K total credit lines. Only loan is through BMW for a car. over 2 yrs old. 

How does this happen?

Wow this one is definitely a head scratcher, in my opinion the reason given is total BS. I'm sorry it didn't yield the results you were hoping for.

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cgn11963 wrote:

How does this happen?

Unfortunately, you might not be their target customer. They have been somewhat pretty selective on who gets approved for it. It doesn't matter if your scores are >800, 1% utilization or modest income.

Message 3 of 11
cgn11963
Established Member

What is the target customer? 

Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cgn11963 wrote:

What is the target customer? 

Only Capital One knows -- specific for this product.

The reason given is not really wrong, while most may feel it's "BS" or an excuse. I'm aware that you cut a fair amount of TCL back in 2020, but in their [algorithm] eyes, they may feel you have a lot of revolving accounts for their taste, regardless if your limits are in the $30K-$50K range and the income to support it. Sometimes it can translate into not being a long term profitable customer and/or just churning the card.

Message 5 of 11
Borealis
Regular Contributor

Bummer! We win some, we lose some, I guess. 

March 2021- FICO8: EXP 549 / TU 571
November 2023 - FICO8: EXP 794 / TU 795 / EQ 836

Message 6 of 11
cgn11963
Established Member

honestly it would be just churning a card for me. No reason to keep it other than the sign up bonus

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cgn11963 wrote:

honestly it would be just churning a card for me. No reason to keep it other than the sign up bonus

There's your answer.

They saved themselves paying out a SUB, you save yourself an AAoA ding.

You'd be very surprised how much AI technology knows about an individual.

Message 8 of 11
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@cgn11963 wrote:

There's your answer.

Add that to the fact that trying to figure out what Cap 1 wants is like nailing Jello to the wall and you have the head-scratching reality that is your denial.

Their card sits in my sock drawer with a few friends for reasons such as this.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@cgn11963 wrote:

There's your answer.

Took the words right out of my mouth 😂🤣😆

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.