cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Based on your credit report, you have too many requests for credit." CLI Application partial denial

tag
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

"Based on your credit report, you have too many requests for credit." CLI Application partial denial

I just got a CLI on my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card, it went from $2k to $4k.  I was asking for $9k.  They denied the full amount and the reason for the denial was "Based on your credit report, you have too many requests for credit.".  I have not applied for a new credit in 9 months.  Had no hard inquiries in 9 months.  in fact a few have fallen off in the last few months.  The only thing I have done, is request CLIs from my existing credit cards which are soft pulls.  Is AMEX getting and using that info?  Can a CC company see softpull CLI requests and hold that against someone?  I have been requesting every few weeks on my Discover...they even say you can request as often as you like...but is this seen and looked down on?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

Re: "Based on your credit report, you have too many requests for credit." CLI Application

They aren't supposed to be able to see softpulls.  Only you can when you view your own report.

How many inquiries do you have?  It may be the total number of them that's haunting them, not their age.

It may be related to other things in your profile as well.  The "reasons" they give can be vague or seem irrelevant sometimes.

They do know how many times you request a CLI with them (Amex), in their own records.  But requesting a CLI too soon usually leads to a full denial, not a partial/counteroffer.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 2 of 9
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Re: "Based on your credit report, you have too many requests for credit." CLI Application

I have 1 inquiry on my TU and EX and 2 on EQ.  I have not requested a CLI for AMEX in the last 90 days...so who knows.  I will wait 90 days and see what happens.

Message 3 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Ok when you stated the # of inq's on your report, is that on the last year, or the last 2 years.  I notice the 3B reports that we get here on MyFico only show inq's from the last year,  or "scoreable" inquiries.  In the real world, inq's stay on your report for 2 years, so while they don't hurt your score, I would imagine individual banks could side-eye you if the choose. 

Message 4 of 9
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Their max is 3X and you asked for more than that.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Mdowning30  BOOM!!!

That was definitely it.  Good catch.

Message 6 of 9
PapaTunde
Established Contributor

Congrats on your partial approval

All Fico9 835+ or there abouts

These violent delights have violent ends
Message 7 of 9
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

OK called AMEX cust servioce and this was the reason.  It was because there was a request right after my last CLI where I tried to "double dip". So they keep track of CLI denials.  In the system, there was 2 CLI requests that were declined (i only remember 1) and those were looked at as "too many requests".  

Message 8 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

OK called AMEX cust servioce and this was the reason.  It was because there was a request right after my last CLI where I tried to "double dip". So they keep track of CLI denials.  In the system, there was 2 CLI requests that were declined (i only remember 1) and those were looked at as "too many requests".  

Thanks for the DP.

Also, your request for $9k from $2k was rather ambitious. They only approve a 3x max.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.