Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x Auto-CLI... Finally!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Amex 3x Auto-CLI... Finally!

Hello friends!

I almost didn't share this since to most it will be "small potatoes", but then I thought that some might find the data point valuable so here I am.

A quick re-hash:  I opened my BCP back in April 2015, and was given a starting credit line of $1k.  I've requested a CLI numerous times (actually, five) and each time I've been declined due to "prior negative experience with an American Express account."  This refers to an account that was IIBK back in 2000 - 16 years ago.

My last decline was in August so it would have been time for me to try again someday this week, but I wasn't going to bother since I just assumed that I was permanently stuck at $1k. 

Then I got an email - "Important information about your account."  Honestly I thought the worst when I saw that, and I nearly fell over when I opened it and saw that they have given me a 3x auto-CLI to $3k.  Smiley Surprised

amexCLI.jpg

The weird part is that before when I would request the CLI my profile was actually stronger than it is now. 

My EX is down to 739 (previously in the 760s) because of new accounts/inquiries and some balances I've let report.  Also, at the moment my BCP balance is $600+, which is more than 60% of my credit line... hardly 'perfect' stats for a CLI, but yet there it is.  I have been using it pretty hard each month (usually $400-$600) and I always PIF, so that might have helped.

As happy as I have been the last few months over much more generous approvals with other cards, this 'little' CLI actually has me quite excited... it appears I might be "back in the game" with Amex after all!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3x Auto-CLI... Finally!

This is FANTASTIC news, my friend! I am thrilled for you! Smiley Happy

Your patience and perseverance with American Express has really paid off, and it's definitely not "small potatoes." We're all equal and even here regardless of how high or low a CLI we receive.

And, a CLI is just as EXCITING and deserving of applause whether it's $500 or $10,000!

Very well done and I know you've been waiting for this! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is FANTASTIC news, my friend! I am thrilled for you! Smiley Happy

Your patience and perseverance with American Express has really paid off, and it's definitely not "small potatoes." We're all equal and even here regardless of how high or low a CLI we receive.

And, a CLI is just as EXCITING and deserving of applause whether it's $500 or $10,000!

Very well done and I know you've been waiting for this! Smiley Happy

Thank you, my friend!  Smiley Very Happy

This CLI is remarkable for me because unlike a few of my other cards that hang out in the SD, my BCP actually gets quite a bit of use each month, so that makes the increase a bit more meaningful as well!  (It's actually the only card I have that I've had to watch the credit line each month, to make sure I don't go over before the last month's payment posts.)

I have no idea if this means I'm now able to get additional CLIs or not, but in six months I might give it a try for giggles.  That being said, $3k is very usable as a grocery store card, so I'm in good shape even if it's stuck at $3k from here on out.  Smiley Happy

Another thought I had... it's said that while overall utilization is important, individual utilization on each card is factored into the FICO algorithm as well.  If that's the case, now that my BCP won't be perpetually reporting at 50%+ utilization I might get a score bump as well... fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your kind words!  Smiley Very Happy

Edit:  Can't spell today

Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to you, UncleB! So very thrilled for you - always nice to be happily suprised, especially when it's something that you have been wishing for! I'm positive you're going to enjoy this card even more! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats to you, UncleB! So very thrilled for you - always nice to be happily suprised, especially when it's something that you have been wishing for! I'm positive you're going to enjoy this card even more! Smiley Happy

Thanks weedeb!  Smiley Very Happy

It was always ironic that of all my cards the BCP actually gets quite a bit of usage, however it had by far the smallest credit line.  You're exactly right... I will enjoy it quite a bit more from now on!  Smiley Wink

Hopefully the datapoints from my 'journey' with Amex will help somebody else on the forum.  Thanks again!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats uncle B!!!

Message 6 of 45
Gmood1
Super Contributor

This is fantastic UncleB! Nice to see Amex loosening up! Congrats on cracking the ceiling!😎

Message 7 of 45
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations UncleB on your "small potatoes" approval for the 3X CLI Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 45
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Congratulations!! I feel your pain, as I'm in the same boat with Amex, but I'm holding onto hope with them.

Enjoy your increased spending limit!!!

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 9 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Congrats uncle B!!!

Thanks, Justagirl73!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.