Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton Honors Surpass Shady Approval

tag
cmoe
Valued Member

Amex Hilton Honors Surpass Shady Approval

I was approved for the Hilton Honors Surpass card with $4000 SL. As if the starting limit wasn't insulting enough, they immediately reduced my current BCP card limit from $41,600 to $37,600. They reallocated part of my BCP CL to the Honors card that has an AF of $95. I kind of feel robbed and cheated. I was also surprised the approval was a HP - it took 6 points out of my credit score.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Hilton Honors Surpass Shady Approval

Congrats on your AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass approval

Message 2 of 14
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Amex Hilton Honors Surpass approval.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Hilton Honors Surpass Approval!

AmEx and Chase are known at times, to rob Peter to pay Paul (re-allocate limits).

Message 4 of 14
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

AmEx and Chase are known at times, to rob Peter to pay Paul (re-allocate limits).

In my experience, BofA as well.

I was originally declined for my Unlimited Cash Rewards card because I was at the max exposure with BofA.

I called in and the CSR let me know I could be approved if I re-allocated limit from one of my cards - so I did, without second thought.

I'd rather be approved for the new account and be able to grow it in the future vs flat out declined

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 5 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Cashbackjunky wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

In my experience, BofA as well.

I was originally declined for my Unlimited Cash Rewards card because I was at the max exposure with BofA.

I called in and the CSR let me know I could be approved if I re-allocated limit from one of my cards - so I did, without second thought.

I'd rather be approved for the new account and be able to grow it in the future vs flat out declined

@Cashbackjunky,  That's right, forgot about them.

Message 6 of 14
Traveler101
Established Contributor

91 days 3x? Congratulations!

Message 7 of 14
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 14
Stealth-1
Established Contributor

@cmoe 

Congrats on the approval. They should have at least warned you about the 4K reallocation because I'm not sure you would have still wanted the HH card. 

"If you don't stand for something, you might fall for anything."
Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@cmoe wrote:

I was approved for the Hilton Honors Surpass card with $4000 SL. As if the starting limit wasn't insulting enough, they immediately reduced my current BCP card limit from $41,600 to $37,600. They reallocated part of my BCP CL to the Honors card that has an AF of $95. I kind of feel robbed and cheated. I was also surprised the approval was a HP - it took 6 points out of my credit score.

It doesn't seem like such a bad result to me. You've got the card. You can easily move limits around. You can easily apply for soft pull CLI's. And a hard pull for a new credit card is the norm just about everywhere except American Express.

So if I were you I would chalk it up as a win.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.