cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred...

tag
ujocka
Valued Member

Approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred...

Just got approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred for $26k. Looking for one more card and I'm done.I'll use the Sapphire for all expenses for the points but just want a second card for any other general purpose, hopefully with some interesting perks. Im told Amex is generous with CLIs so maybe i will go that route. Can't see the value in gold/platinum based in the AFs. Any words of wisdom?

From Chapter 13 discharge and low 500s in 2015 to EQ: 781 TU: 767 EX: 794 in 2017...Make your vision your reality.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred...

Congrats!  This card is way better than the Reserve.  Nice starting limit.  $100 a year fee is not much more than Sam's Club membership or a renewal for a Sportman's Guide membership.

You will enjoy this card.  Sure you don't wanna do a PC to a Reserve for the same limit with a $450 annual fee?

You made the right choice.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card do you want? 

Message 3 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

@ujocka wrote:

Just got approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred for $26k. Looking for one more card and I'm done.I'll use the Sapphire for all expenses for the points but just want a second card for any other general purpose, hopefully with some interesting perks. Im told Amex is generous with CLIs so maybe i will go that route. Can't see the value in gold/platinum based in the AFs. Any words of wisdom?

Yes, Amex is great with CLIs. Discover too.

You have to decide what will help you get more back for your normal use. Check Amex pre-qual site, you may get an offer for $100, $150 or even $250 welcome bonus plus 10% restaurants on BCE (the no AF version).

I think Discover still double your first year cash back, that's good too.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ujocka wrote:

Congrats! With that large of a limit, your credit and income must be pretty great. 

While the Preferred is a good card in it's own right, I'm a bit curious why you didn't go for the much better Reserve? Even if you didn't use most if it's much better perks, it only ends up being $55 more per year and is better all the way around.

Either way, you can always upgrade or get that one later if need be Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
ujocka
Valued Member

I was really struggling between the reserve and preferred and didn't see the reserve being that much more beneficial for me. Just curious how came to a difference of only $55.  I calculated $150. I also saw that the reserve adds $75 a year for an authorized user (wife) and the preferred doesn't.

From Chapter 13 discharge and low 500s in 2015 to EQ: 781 TU: 767 EX: 794 in 2017...Make your vision your reality.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ujocka wrote:

I was really struggling between the reserve and preferred and didn't see the reserve being that much more beneficial for me. Just curious how came to a difference of only $55.  I calculated $150. I also saw that the reserve adds $75 a year for an authorized user (wife) and the preferred doesn't.

Preferred = $95 AF, no travel credit

Reserve = $450 AF - $300 travel credit = $150

150-95 = 55

I guess it makes sense if you only travel once a year or so, and only within the country. Anything more than that though and the Reserve is a pretty clear winner, especially since it increases the point value by 50% over what you'd get with the Preferred, and it earns 50% more points on the same categories.

No worries though, you will still enjoy it either way Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
ujocka
Valued Member

Timing is everything. Mine was off by a mere 6 hours. Didn't realize that if I had applied in a branch yesterday (2 block from my house) vs online last night I would have been eligible for 100k points instead of 50k. Promo ended yesterday Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 10
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Congratulations and welcome to the CSP family!!

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Travel Credit Card for 2017:
CSP:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/best-travel-credit-card/

Best Travel Credit Cards 2017:
Airline Miles & large bonus:
CSP:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-travel-credit-cards/

Best for Maximizing Travel Rewards 2017:
CSP:
https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-travel-credit-cards

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.