Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Approval for DBF and other questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Approval for DBF and other questions

yes i finally did it! overcame my fear of the 3point apr spread of the mail offer and bam - $6000!! I am unsure of the apr but its between 16.99 and 19.99 LOL...Snap-On BT already set up.. woohoo!

we also applied for a Wells Fargo card solely for the cell phone protection - went to pending and upon calling in, denied for too many recently opened accounts.. LOL! whatever!

I also wanted him to have his own Care Credit but he doesn't want it.

AAoA - 8 months(he literally just started with credit 8 months ago with the snapon)

Snapon - original 3500 down to 2600

Cap1 - orig plat mc $300 upgraded to QS at 3 months and just got credit steps increase to $500

Paypal 2% MC - just paid 2nd statment - $3000(he is in LOVE with this card lol)

AU on my Discover

creditscorecard - sept 685/oct 707/nov 735

So now my question is.. should we get rid of that cap1? its obviously in the rebuilder bucket and will never get out..or should we keep it open for old times sake? 

second question - should i take him off as AU on my discover or just leave it? i mean he can stay on forever as far as im concerned i was just curious.

and just for kicks.. he is preappoved for 3 amex and 3 us banks and he could care less LOL

thank you all for the guidance you've provided me as i am living vicariously through him with his awesome score. haha

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Approval for DBF and other questions

Congratz on your Discover approval!! Smiley Happy 

Discover is awesome right now if you shop at Amazon and Target since next year Q4 will be the same. You can probably take advantage of that category twice.

I'd keep Cap1 if it's the regular QS (w/o annual fees). No FTF and they supposedly added a feature to create virtual credit cards. I can see that being useful with all online breaches going on. 

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!

ok yes its a regular QS.. no FTF i forgot about that! thanks!
Message 3 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sasha, big congrats to DBF Smiley Wink Thats a great sl for only 8 months credit. Keep open the Cap One for now. It being the QS, its pretty good. Way too early to say its bracketed especially after only having it a couple months.

Now DBF has the holy trinity ,lol, the recommended 3 credit cards for max scoring. Not only that , how many of us start off 8 months in with 3 majors, Discover, CapOne , and Synchrony MCSmiley Happy. They all can grow big time with use and time. I dont think he needs to be an AU anymore though if you want to wait til he has 1 full year to let him walk lol its okSmiley Wink.

With those 3 i think he could garden a year and if he wanted Amex or USBANK his limits and approvals would be that more solid. Great job helping him and you heard it hear first, you just watch, after bting SnapOn to Discover, i wouldnt be shocked if his Disco grows, faster lol. Ice job againSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol thanks ajc! i never thought of it that way the holy trinity! i just bet he'll get a cli on his disco before me haha...
Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah and once the snap on is paid off he'll probably get a big cli as rewardSmiley Wink. As for Amex, just have to decide if you want all the hps to age together so if you do, probably best to go for it now .
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yeah and once the snap on is paid off he'll probably get a big cli as rewardSmiley Wink. As for Amex, just have to decide if you want all the hps to age together so if you do, probably best to go for it now .

probably! and nah hes not as impressed as i am with the amex he says he has enough credit cards to keep track of now! lol.. no reason for the amex except just to "have it".. hes got his paypal card to walk off into the sunset with 😂

Message 7 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Consider the SSL technique if your BF's Snap-On loan is his only installment loan.

As far as the AU thing, do what's convienent. It probably isn't going to affect his score by much one way or the other, especially after another few months pass. If it facilitates some kind of buying convience, then keep him on. If keeping him doesn't seem to offer any practical benefit, remove him sometime between now and a few months from now.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Consider the SSL technique if your BF's Snap-On loan is his only installment loan.

As far as the AU thing, do what's convienent. It probably isn't going to affect his score by much one way or the other, especially after another few months pass. If it facilitates some kind of buying convience, then keep him on. If keeping him doesn't seem to offer any practical benefit, remove him sometime between now and a few months from now.

ok thanks! we decided we probably will keep him on just for emergency you-never-know situations, i mean even though he got approved for 6000 mine is 7000 

Message 9 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The Snap-On loan worked at the time because your guy had no credit, and it's likely helped him get the nice cards that he's getting now. But if I remember correctly, the terms weren't that great. A BT at this time makes perfect sense as it'll save him a significant chunk of change.

Even when closed, the loan will still help thicken his history, but it'll no longer help his score. That's why I suggested the SSL if he has no other loans. That'll keep his points intact.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.