Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Synchrony Approval w/ thin file

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and Synchrony Approval w/ thin file

Need some help on what to do next ...
With my sister starting college and having no credit history at all. I decided to take control of the situation to allow my knowledge from the forums to be put to use. (I have my own issues with credit fromthe past as well so I’m currently stagnant 🤕)

She has an inquiry from VIctoria Secret from Dec 2017- declined due to not having history

9 mos ago- Authorized user on Victoria Secret (although it doesn’t show on the report from experian?!)

Applied for discover it secured— $200 limit APPROVED! Oct 2018

Applied Capital One secured —- $99 deposit/ $200 APPROVED! Dec2018

Applied Gap (Synchrony Bank) - Approved $250 limit store card Dec 2018

Applied Walmart —— Approved $200 limit store card Dec 2018 ( silly me requested CLI to $1,300 due to the success stories... declined CLI with not counter offer)

Applied Citi Double Cash — declines due to thin file Dec 2018
Applied PayPal credit —— declined ( don’t know why yet) Dec 2018

Applied TJX (synchrony bank) —— received thank you letter, with 7-10 days. Therefore I’m not sure if this will be an approval or denial

I want to garden these lines for at least 4 months before requesting CLI if they don’t automatically do so by then. I’m not so worried about the capital one and discover card since they are both due to increase in July due to them being secured.

My questions are...
1. Should I let them increase on their own or request it? (Walmart and GAP)

2.should I add a seasoned tradeline to age my credit history before trying for another citi card?

3. What are the best Visa Or MasterCard to apply to with limited credit history that are privy to lending high limits? What if I season my profile with a tradeline ... what’s the best options then?

Sorry for the long post 😌 my scores are 509 ish range. I can’t get an accurate score because my profile is so young. Thanks in advance!!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover and Synchrony Approval w/ thin file

Congrats on your approvals!!

SspW.gif

Message 2 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would request CLI on each card every 90 days. SP only.

I would not apply for any new cards for 6 months.

I would not apply for anything I was not preapproved for 12 months.

I would check for prequals monthly on unsecured cards from: capital one, discover, and merrick bank.

I would not open any more store cards.

Use, pay, and grow what you have for now.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 6
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Need some help on what to do next ...
With my sister starting college and having no credit history at all. I decided to take control of the situation to allow my knowledge from the forums to be put to use. (I have my own issues with credit fromthe past as well so I’m currently stagnant 🤕)

She has an inquiry from VIctoria Secret from Dec 2017- declined due to not having history

9 mos ago- Authorized user on Victoria Secret (although it doesn’t show on the report from experian?!)

Applied for discover it secured— $200 limit APPROVED! Oct 2018

Applied Capital One secured —- $99 deposit/ $200 APPROVED! Dec2018

Applied Gap (Synchrony Bank) - Approved $250 limit store card Dec 2018

Applied Walmart —— Approved $200 limit store card Dec 2018 ( silly me requested CLI to $1,300 due to the success stories... declined CLI with not counter offer)

Applied Citi Double Cash — declines due to thin file Dec 2018
Applied PayPal credit —— declined ( don’t know why yet) Dec 2018

Applied TJX (synchrony bank) —— received thank you letter, with 7-10 days. Therefore I’m not sure if this will be an approval or denial

I want to garden these lines for at least 4 months before requesting CLI if they don’t automatically do so by then. I’m not so worried about the capital one and discover card since they are both due to increase in July due to them being secured.

My questions are...
1. Should I let them increase on their own or request it? (Walmart and GAP)

2.should I add a seasoned tradeline to age my credit history before trying for another citi card?

3. What are the best Visa Or MasterCard to apply to with limited credit history that are privy to lending high limits? What if I season my profile with a tradeline ... what’s the best options then?

Sorry for the long post 😌 my scores are 509 ish range. I can’t get an accurate score because my profile is so young. Thanks in advance!!

First, congratulations on the new cards!

Shooting for 800 gives excellent advice as to the best way to proceed. The Synchrony cards (Gap, Walmart) may grow at 6 months, but they seem to be a 3x max at the moment (at least, that has been my most recent experience with them). Synch worships TU, so the higher the score, the more likely you are to grow the cards.

As for the TJX card (another Synchrony card), that's almost certainly a decline since the Gap and Walmart cards were just approved. PayPal Credit has just recently been taken over by Synchrony, so the decline is for a similar reason. Citi tends to approve people with a longer credit history.

Stay in the garden for a while and let the cards grow.

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 4 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approvals but it would be a good time to garden and let the accounts age and grow. SP CLI only and definitely give it a minimum of 6M/1YR before anything else. Check prequals to see if you get any but definitely give it time.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngrats on app spree approval !!!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.