Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Hotel Card - IHG or Marriott? Update: IHG Approved

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Next Hotel Card - IHG or Marriott? Update: IHG Approved

With the changeover of the Hilton credit card from Citi to AMEX and the increase of the threshold for a free night from $10k spend to $15k, I am finding the math is not worth me trying to reach that target for a free night, and I am looking for another hotel card to provide that free night and also capture a sign-up bonus.  I have some IHG points from business stays (and a discounted points purchase for a trip to NYC that never happened), and also have Marriott points.  After Hilton, Marriott is my second most frequent brand, but I already have the SPG AMEX (and the Silver status).  I like the idea of the Kimptons (and have also liked the InterContinentals) but these hotels aren't in all cities, and I'd prefer Hampton over a Holiday Inn Express or a Hilton/Doubletree over a Crowne Plaza.

Any suggestions which card is better?

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Next Hotel Card - IHG or Marriott?

Is SPG silver equal to marriot gold? I seem to remember SPG has different tier names.  If it isn't the Ritz card gets you sharable gold.  Also Marriot has 75k right now, so might be worth getting just for the points. Marriott is also 3k per free night, so much lower than Hilton.

Message 2 of 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

IHG's annual free night at any tier property for only $49 AF is hard to beat.

Message 3 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

IHG wins for category...and therefore geographic...flexibility on the renewal night.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 21
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

The AF is lower on IHG card and has a better award night redemption while Marriott card restricts it to a cat 1-5. I had to choose between Hyatt and Marriott for my first hotel card and chose Hyatt because I found the award night easier to use than I would with Marriott. Also consider the long term benefits of the card besides a signup bonus.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 5 of 21
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

IHG provides a lot of value. It comes with Platinum Elite status, which regularly pays off with room upgrades. I've had several relatively swanky stays at Holiday Inns because they've upgraded me to executive suites free of charge. Intercontinental and Kimpton hotels are quite nice and Crowne Plazas usually aren't too shabby either (ymmv). The annual fee is only $45 and the annually recurring free night can be used at any of its properties. It's also great knowing that there are IHG properties in seemingly every town and city across the country — making it convenient for roadtrips — and in many locations around the world. All that said, for me, it's best as a backup loyalty program. Hilton's program is the one I lean on the most. Good luck! 

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 6 of 21
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

IHG for sure. And don’t overlook the Hotel Indigos. Recently used my Chase free night cert at the Indigo Downtown Denver. Was upgraded to a one bedroom suite as a platinum. Beautiful hotel!

Message 7 of 21
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

@MAZDA3wrote:

IHG for sure. And don’t overlook the Hotel Indigos. Recently used my Chase free night cert at the Indigo Downtown Denver. Was upgraded to a one bedroom suite as a platinum. Beautiful hotel!

Thanks for the info, Mazda3. I almost stayed at the Indigo hotel in Denver and wondered if it was as good as it looked. I live in San Francisco now but am a Colorado native. So I'll be sure to put the Indigo to use soon! 

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

May be obvious, but keep in mind the Marriott card falls under 5/24 but the ihg does not.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
May be obvious, but keep in mind the Marriott card falls under 5/24 but the ihg does not.

How do you know that it’s not 5/24?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.