Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural King Harvest Visa - 15k limit

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Rural King Harvest Visa - 15k limit

I went to Rural King on black friday to get a battery for my truck because they were having 10% off everything, and their batteries are already a pretty good deal.  They had a table set up for their new credit card, and I stopped to take a look.  It's 5% cash back when you shop at Rural King, and 1.5% cash back anywhere else.  You can also do 6 months of 0% interest on any purchase over $299.  I've bought a few guns from Rural King in the past, and was thinking of getting another on top of the truck battery, so I went ahead and applied.  

It said that I had to join the Redstone Federal Credit Union because they back the card, and it opened a savings account in my name with $5 which was apparently free to me because I didn't give a method of funding.  The manager said that they don't take it off the card, so hopefully she was right!

I filled everything out and was approved for $15,000!  Much more than I was expecting.  The last time I had a Rural King credit card was only a few years ago, and it was backed by Syncrony at that time, and mine only had an $800 limit.  My credit rebuilding appears to be working out!

They pulled experian and my score was 765, but dropped to 736 after they pulled.  It was my 9th inquiry for experian, and the 4th card that I've gotten in the last couple months.  So I guess I better cool off and let them age a bit.  I also got a Discover Card on Tuesday, and my score only dropped 6 points for that inquiry, but I know that a bunch of inquiries scares them off, so I'll lay off for bit.

I ended up not buying the gun, so I guess it was a little silly to apply for the card just to get 5% off the $60 truck battery, but I buy other stuff there too from time to time, so it may come in handy.  If nothing else, it'll pad out my utilization some more.  I hope that they don't have a $25 minimum redemption for their cash back.  It would be nice to be able to redeem smaller amounts, but I'm not holding my breath!  

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Rural King Harvest Visa - 15k limit

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 28
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

I just realized that my new BoA Americard just started reporting, and I have it 100% maxed out with a balance transfer for the 0% offer.  That's probably why my score took a dip rather than just the inquiry for the new Rural King card.  

Message 3 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Nice SL  ..Congrats!!

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked and you are now a member of Redstone Credit Union at no cost to you.  The $5 must be something Redstone pays for you.

Message 5 of 28
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked and you are now a member of Redstone Credit Union at no cost to you.  The $5 must be something Redstone pays for you.

Yeah, that's what the manager told me.  I just thought that sounded strange!  But I've never had a credit union backed credit card before, so I just had never seen that language in the application before.

Message 6 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty good SL, grats on the card Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 28
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Congrats! 

Message 8 of 28
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

New cards I have never heard of everyday.  Congrats on a nice SL

Message 9 of 28
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.