Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards - APPROVED!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store Cards - APPROVED!

I always read the posts for advice on here and I decided to apply for a store card since I didn't have one (have Cap1, Household Bank, Credit Union CC). Applied for Newport News - got approved for $250. So I tried Victoria's Secret - got approved for $250, then did J Crew and The Limited. All approved. I think I'll stop now. Credit scores are all low 600s. The cards came fast too, within 3 days.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Re: Store Cards - APPROVED!

Hard pull on your credit report ?

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 2 of 31
logan_720
Established Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Whenever you apply for any type of credit, it is a hard inquiry. 

Message 3 of 31
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Except all the cards the OP mentioned are well known to be available through the "no hard inquiry offer while checking out online" method from that particular lender.
Message 4 of 31
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

@bostonte wrote:

@logan_720 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Except all the cards the OP mentioned are well known to be available through the "no hard inquiry offer while checking out online" method from that particular lender.

Which cards are they? Or apping on what site.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 5 of 31
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@bostonte wrote:

@logan_720 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Never heard of that. Please explain?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the actual websites (newportnews.com; victoriassecret.com; thelimited.com; jcrew.com) and clicked on their credit card app buttons.

They were hardpulls through Equifax, although only the newport news & victoriassecret showed up as inquiries so far per my equifax score watch subscription. 

All of these stores are WFNNB financed. I hope to get CLIs in the future. I will keep you updated Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@bostonte wrote:

@logan_720 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Never heard of that. Please explain?

WFNB that issues all these cards and express is known to go in and create an account for shopping, then go back into the account edit in all info you can, shipping, billy address, etc. etc.  Go put an item in your shopping card, then go to check out and it should happen pretty quick but a screen with just pop up over top the page you are on and say congrats you are pre approved, click yes to accept and continue check out or no.

it is 99% of the time instant and it's 100% always no HP.

and if approved you can still cancel out of checking out and not buy anything, you will still get the card.

Message 8 of 31
2NE1
Established Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

WFNB that issues all these cards and express is known to go in and create an account for shopping, then go back into the account edit in all info you can, shipping, billy address, etc. etc.  Go put an item in your shopping card, then go to check out and it should happen pretty quick but a screen with just pop up over top the page you are on and say congrats you are pre approved, click yes to accept and continue check out or no.

it is 99% of the time instant and it's 100% always no HP.

and if approved you can still cancel out of checking out and not buy anything, you will still get the card.

Do you know if you apply at the Store in person, would these be HPs as well? I tried to follow the VS advice online but when I went to the check out I didn't see any window pop-up with a 'pre-approval' link Smiley Sad... do you think it was because of the browser?

Message 9 of 31
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Not the original poster BUT,

I applied for Victoria Secret, New York and Company, Maurices, Ann Taylor Loft and Lane Bryant.

Maurices and New York and company I appled for online, no hard pull at all.

Ann taylor loft I applied online but had a hard pull.

Victoria Secret and Lane Bryant I applied in store and had hard pulls.

I never got the "sign up for a credit card offer" thing when using the online shopping cart, but, about 10 years ago I'd had accounts with Maurices and  NY and CO which closed for inactivity in good standing. I think that's the other way you can get around a hard pull is by applying for one you've already had.

The ones I applied for in store both had higher starting limits.

I'm tempted to try another couple WFNNB since my credit reports are frozen anyways using the shopping cart method.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.