Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Nations FCU (UNFCU) Elite approval

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

United Nations FCU (UNFCU) Elite approval

UNFCU is a credit union that has been occasionally mentioned here but without many datapoints, and most of those are at least 2 years old. 

I joined them about a year ago and opened a savings account to which I've been pushing small, regular deposits, with the goal of eventually applying for one of their cards,  since they are one of the very few issuers of credit cards with true PIN priority/offline PIN capability in the US.      The process of joining and opening up the savings account was pretty straightforward, but it did take 1-2 weeks. 

After having received severaI offer-to-apply emails over the last couple of months I pulled the trigger on applying online for an Elite card on Monday afternoon, uploading the requisite 2 pay stubs and validation of job/title, asking for the minimum ($15K) SL. That's enough for what I want the card for.   I got an immediate notification of an EX HP. 

Logging in online this morning I see a new UNFCU Visa Elite account with $15K@11.99% SL, so I'm happy.

Based on the previous DP I expected review/approval would have taken a lot longer. I'm not complaining. Smiley Happy 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: United Nations FCU (UNFCU) Elite approval

Congrats can you remember if it was a HP to join UNFCU for a savings account?

Message 2 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I pulled up my EX/TU/EQ info and confirmed that there was no HP when I applied for membership and opened the savings account. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 23
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Great approval and great APR, congrats!

Message 4 of 23
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the approval! But what is "true PIN priority/offline PIN capability"? I thought lots of our cards have PIN numbers that are used when requesting cash advances, etc?

Message 5 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Congratulations on the approval! But what is "true PIN priority/offline PIN capability"? I thought lots of our cards have PIN numbers that are used when requesting cash advances, etc?

Most US cards that support use of a PIN will default to requiring a signature and if the card reader does not support a signature mode will either require the card reader to be online so the issuer can be queried to validate the PIN or fall back to no validation check performed (or, under some conditions rejecting the card) if the card reader is offline.     Occasionally that poses a problem outside the US, since most other countries have standardized on prioritizing use of a PIN. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 6 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your aproval 

Message 7 of 23
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 8 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Quick update - I got an Experian alert earlier today that the new tradeline reported.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 9 of 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.