Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade card approval

tag
C6
Regular Contributor

Upgrade card approval

The Good: $25,000 limit, 2.2% cashback, soft pull only, early pay (pay entire balance within 2 days of statement date to avoid interest)

The Bad: 15.9 interest (Has anyone ever been offered 8.99?)

The Ugly: I clicked through a link on credit karma to get this offer. They also mentioned a $400 bonus for opening a new checking account. After applying and being approved there was no mention of the checking account or bonus. I went back and clicked a link to apply for the checking account and check out their requirements:

Welcome to Rewards Checking! There are just a few quick steps to unlock all the features of your new Rewards Checking account.
If we need documents or information from you to finish opening your account, they are listed below:

• Most recent two years federal tax return
  • W-2
  • 4506-T Upgrade will follow up with you via email on next steps for submitting your 4506T form
  • Photo of Yourself (Use Mobile Device)
  • Government Issued ID - Back (Use Mobile Device)
  • Government Issued ID - Front (Use Mobile Device)

I withdrew the checking account application as I could tell they were doing everything they could to keep from giving out that $400...LOL

TU soft pull, 755, 1/24

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade card approval

@C6  You are going to love your new Upgrade credit card. I have one myself and I love it too. The Upgrade credit card is actually a line of credit, and that's how it will report on your credit report. Even though it's a line of credit, it is accessible to you at any time by using your card. Furthermore, if you don't want to use the card, you can simply transfer cash directly into your checking account. Upgrade is reliable and prompt in regards to reporting accurately to all three credit bureaus. The app is simple and easy to use. As you use your card, or transfer cash like I mentioned, Upgrade just updates the balance owed on your line of credit. This Upgrade credit card is a must have for anyone. I highly recommend it.

Message 2 of 17
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@C6  You are going to love your new Upgrade credit card. I have one myself and I love it too. The Upgrade credit card is actually a line of credit, and that's how it will report on your credit report. Even though it's a line of credit, it is accessible to you at any time by using your card. Furthermore, if you don't want to use the card, you can simply transfer cash directly into your checking account. Upgrade is reliable and prompt in regards to reporting accurately to all three credit bureaus. The app is simple and easy to use. As you use your card, or transfer cash like I mentioned, Upgrade just updates the balance owed on your line of credit. This Upgrade credit card is a must have for anyone. I highly recommend it.

Just to clarify some questions regarding this: Once you use the money, and pay it off, it does not add that amount back to the available amount to use, correct? Also, somebody else mentioned that it would create a bunch of separate loans on your credit report, it sounds like it doesn't do that either. Thanks for the info in advance, always been curious to get more datapoints regarding this card

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your Upgrade Card approval!

Message 4 of 17
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!!

Message 5 of 17
Danmae777
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on your new approval 

starting fico 8 score 04/2021-EX-618
current fico 8 score 04/2022 -EX 657
Message 6 of 17
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Upgrade Visa approval

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543  When you use the card, the credit limit on the card is actually the credit limit on your Upgrade line of credit. I know it's a Visa credit card. But it's not really a credit card. And it's not really a line of credit. It's both rolled up into one. It's a hybrid. I know the concept can sound confusing. It's best to look at the Upgrade card as a line of credit. And the line of credit is easily available for you to use 24 hours a day by using the card. And if you don't want to use the card, you can simply log into your Upgrade account and transfer funds from your line of credit to your checking account at another bank. So no matter if you use the card, or you transfer funds into your checking account, it operates exactly the same because it's a line of credit. The line of credit is available to you forever, as long as you still have an account with them. So let's say your limit on your new Upgrade card is $25,000 and you use the card to buy a new Rolex for $10,000. Your new balance on your line of credit is $10,000 and your available limit will be $15,000. Then you buy something else for $5,000. Now your Upgrade balance is $15,000 and your available limit will now be $10,000. Now let's say you want $10,000 cash to party in Vegas, and you transfer $10,000 from your Upgrade account into your checking account at USAA. Now you are maxed out. Your balance is $25,000 and your available limit is zero. You have just used the card two times, and you used a transfer one time. But you will not have three separate loans. You will simply have $25,000 charged on your Upgrade line of credit. Every month you can pay your Upgrade minimum payment, or pay more, or pay in full. And as you pay what you owe on this $25,000 balance, you will then have that amount available to you to use again anytime you want because it's a revolving line of credit. The Upgrade card is quite unique. 

Message 8 of 17
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Matt9543  When you use the card, the credit limit on the card is actually the credit limit on your Upgrade line of credit. I know it's a Visa credit card. But it's not really a credit card. And it's not really a line of credit. It's both rolled up into one. It's a hybrid. I know the concept can sound confusing. It's best to look at the Upgrade card as a line of credit. And the line of credit is easily available for you to use 24 hours a day by using the card. And if you don't want to use the card, you can simply log into your Upgrade account and transfer funds from your line of credit to your checking account at another bank. So no matter if you use the card, or you transfer funds into your checking account, it operates exactly the same because it's a line of credit. The line of credit is available to you forever, as long as you still have an account with them. So let's say your limit on your new Upgrade card is $25,000 and you use the card to buy a new Rolex for $10,000. Your new balance on your line of credit is $10,000 and your available limit will be $15,000. Then you buy something else for $5,000. Now your Upgrade balance is $15,000 and your available limit will now be $10,000. Now let's say you want $10,000 cash to party in Vegas, and you transfer $10,000 from your Upgrade account into your checking account at USAA. Now you are maxed out. Your balance is $25,000 and your available limit is zero. You have just used the card two times, and you used a transfer one time. But you will not have three separate loans. You will simply have $25,000 charged on your Upgrade line of credit. Every month you can pay your Upgrade minimum payment, or pay more, or pay in full. And as you pay what you owe on this $25,000 balance, you will then have that amount available to you to use again anytime you want because it's a revolving line of credit. The Upgrade card is quite unique. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info on this. It seems that the card actually functions differently than I previosly read. Seems like a good deal, besides the high APR.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 9 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Upgrade card approval!

That's a lot of documents to open a checking account. Yikes! None of my checking accounts required tax documents in order to open them.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (September 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.