Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Discover 5% Cash Back Calendar

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2019 Discover 5% Cash Back Calendar

For the 2nd year in a row, Discover announced the 5% cash back calendar for the whole year. No more wholesale club in 2019.

Discover 5% 2019.jpg

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2019 Discover 5% Cash Back Calendar

Not sure why but I'm not exactly blown away.
Message 2 of 49
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If I had a Discover IT card the only real "meh" is the 2nd quarter. I guess if you travel a lot it might make sense...

Message 3 of 49
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

If I had a Discover IT card the only real "meh" is the 3rd quarter. I guess if you travel a lot it might make sense...

We have busy schedules so we eat out or have delivery a lot and doordash qualifies for the 5%

Message 4 of 49
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Nothing special.

I will use Amex Gold in the 1st and 3rd quarter to get 4 pts which are worth more than 5%

Sams club to get 5% in the 2nd quarter

I have Chase Amazon but not prime so 4th quarter makes sense to grab those extra 2% but since I have too many cards and I use the Amazon trick I probably won't even use it then

RIP Discover

Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only category I will probably use will be the gas, Uber, lyft one. I normally use the restaurant category but since I have the Amex Gold that makes discover redundant.
Message 6 of 49
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@patoot10 wrote:

I have Chase Amazon but not prime so 4th quarter makes sense to grab those extra 2% but since I have too many cards and I use the Amazon trick I probably won't even use it then

RIP Discover

What is the "Amazon trick"?  I am intrigued.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 49
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

If I had a Discover IT card the only real "meh" is the 3rd quarter. I guess if you travel a lot it might make sense...

We have busy schedules so we eat out or have delivery a lot and doordash qualifies for the 5%

I meant the 2nd quarter there but if UberEats qualifies maybe it's worth it.

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet, so between It and Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards I'll have gas for q1, q2, and q3 and restaurant for q2, q3, and q4. Not to mention Freedom, US
Bank Cash+, Vantage West Connect Rewards, and Citi Dividend. Gotta love 5% cash back cards.
Message 9 of 49
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

As I said I have too many cards and at this point most of them don't offer the best rewards so no point in putting actual spend on them but you still need to use them here and there to keep them active otherwise the issuer will close them so what I do is every month I would use a couple of my cards to reload my amazon balance by 50c or something small and I do this by rotating "useless" cards on monthly basis then when the time comes and I want to make an amazon purchase (rare) I would use that balance that I have been reloading slowly or just buy a gift card for a restaurant that I frequently eat at. This is convenient because the alternative would be to physically hit the grocery store and buy packs of gums with each card or risk losing it.

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.