tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 6% Amazon Prime Visa on Prime Day

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Dang, that’s a pretty fantastic deal. 

Not sure I would go that far!    Yes, it's an extra 20% back in rewards, but it's only a ~1% drop in effective price   (you now pay 94% rather than 95%.   Outside of credit cards, I don't think we would be saying "Wow, a 1% off sale!!!!!"

That’s 6% off of discounts that are already 10%+ from normal though. Prime Day sales can be very nice. 

Right, but without the offer it would be 5% off those discounted prices, so my point was that the add, while welcome, isn't exactly game changing!

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Dang, that’s a pretty fantastic deal. 

Not sure I would go that far!    Yes, it's an extra 20% back in rewards, but it's only a ~1% drop in effective price   (you now pay 94% rather than 95%.   Outside of credit cards, I don't think we would be saying "Wow, a 1% off sale!!!!!"

That’s 6% off of discounts that are already 10%+ from normal though. Prime Day sales can be very nice. 

Right, but without the offer it would be 5% off those discounted prices, so my point was that the add, while welcome, isn't exactly game changing!

Its still 20% higher than normal. In all honesty, most of the credit card reward game is just marketing and encourages spending more money than you would otherwise so you can “get rewarded” in return. For those of us who shop on Amazon, 1% is 1%. Honestly in the end most of us would probably save more money than we earn in rewards if we got rid of our rewards cards altogether. Let us enjoy our perceived savings. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 12 of 25
FloydWonder
New Contributor

Anybody heard if the Amex Business Prime card is included in this?
PayPal 2% MC $10K | WF PLOC $10K
Chase Freedom Flex $13.7K | Discover IT $13.5K
WF Propel $8000 | WF Cash Wise $1500 | USB Cash+ 5000
Amex Business Prime $20K | Amex ED $4800 | Amex Gold | Uber Visa $1500

FICO 8 Scores (2/21/21): 767 TU, 770 EQ, 771 EX
Message 13 of 25
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@FloydWonder wrote:
Anybody heard if the Amex Business Prime card is included in this?

If it does, you should see one on top of the carts page.

Message 14 of 25
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Ho-hum. Amazon aint what it used to be. Hopefully they'll have some great sales to stack the extra 1% savings. While they can have great prices on select sales, lately I find my self going elsewhere now for things I used to subscribe to at Amazon. Like eBay, you can no longer assume you're getting a bargain. It's probably a combination of things, but other retailers are competing and sometimes winning the online shopping wars. I'll remain a prime member for the TV and music, but my shopping habits have changed.  

Message 15 of 25
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

Ho-hum. Amazon aint what it used to be. Hopefully they'll have some great sales to stack the extra 1% savings. While they can have great prices on select sales, lately I find my self going elsewhere now for things I used to subscribe to at Amazon. Like eBay, you can no longer assume you're getting a bargain. It's probably a combination of things, but other retailers are competing and sometimes winning the online shopping wars. I'll remain a prime member for the TV and music, but my shopping habits have changed.  

It depends on what you're buying. For best deals, price tracker is a must (I use The Camelizer). Their return policy is just amazing. Same Day shipping? Awesome. Funny enough, the only thing I don't use Prime for is on their digital content. It's always been about the shipping and the hassle-free returns and refunds that I pay Prime for. It more than pays for itself for me (the amount of "compensation" Amazon give is a lot), as long as you do not abuse it (or you'll get banned).

Message 16 of 25
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

I'm more inclinded to apply for the Store Prime card than the Visa .

Partly because of my scores (EQ 612 TU 643 EX 647, 2 or 3 INQ), OTOH I just got approved 2 weeks ago for 2 AMEX cards with combo $2000 CL. Plus, I have a Sync/Carecredit account already since last year and nearly paid off...although for both too late to show on CR (at least on my end).

Besides, I'm a Prime member anyway, and I'll probably use it around $500 or so every other month. If I can get a a decent Financing plan, that'll be the time to buy a few big ticket electronic items! Smiley Wink

Anyone have DP on chances/possibilities?

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

It depends on what you're buying. For best deals, price tracker is a must (I use The Camelizer). Their return policy is just amazing. Same Day shipping? Awesome. Funny enough, the only thing I don't use Prime for is on their digital content. It's always been about the shipping and the hassle-free returns and refunds that I pay Prime for. It more than pays for itself for me (the amount of "compensation" Amazon give is a lot), as long as you do not abuse it (or you'll get banned).

Yep. Sometimes it’s worth paying a bit more to have Amazon be the one I’m dealing with. 

And now that everyone is collecting taxes, it removes the value proposition that many other sites had. I have my B&H Payboo card so I still don’t have to pay taxes at B&H so I do comparison shop between what I would pay Amazon after 2.25% (7.25% tax rate - 5% Amazon Store Card rewards) is added and B&H’s price and sometimes B&H wins by a landslide but I don’t even look at Walmart or Target. 

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@comebackkid15 wrote:

I'm more inclinded to apply for the Store Prime card than the Visa .

Partly because of my scores (EQ 612 TU 643 EX 647, 2 or 3 INQ), OTOH I just got approved 2 weeks ago for 2 AMEX cards with combo $2000 CL. Plus, I have a Sync/Carecredit account already since last year and nearly paid off...although for both too late to show on CR (at least on my end).

Besides, I'm a Prime member anyway, and I'll probably use it around $500 or so every other month. If I can get a a decent Financing plan, that'll be the time to buy a few big ticket electronic items! Smiley Wink

Anyone have DP on chances/possibilities?

Chase is almost undoubtedly a no. Sync approved me for $1800 on the Amazon Store Card this past December with a 647 TU so you have a chance, especially since you already have a relationship with them. 

Message 19 of 25
DEcreditguy
New Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Hassle-free returns my ass! lol I used to feel the same way, then on two separate occasions I've had just AWFUL customer service experiences with Amazon. My most recent awful experience is STILL being hashed out. Like the person who also quoted this post, I frequently shop at B&H for camera gear. I needed a particular lens for some work I do and it just happened to be much cheaper on Amazon and I can just have it shipped to my parents house for tax-free shopping. So I ordered said lens from Amazon, said it was in stock, I was ordering directly from Amazon and it said that it would arrive a day or two later. UPS arrives at the door with a package that doesn't quite look right, but I took delivery of it. Open it up and there's a small box--too small to be the lens I ordered--inside that has clearly been opened and retaped closed. I open up said box and there is nothing inside but a cheap 5 dollar cable. I immediately call Amazon and explain what happened. Tell them the box was the wrong size, it had been opened and repackaged and nothing but a cable was inside. They kept asking all of these questions, like they didn't understand what I was explaining in great detail. I asked what I needed to do to make this right and have the correct item shipped to me. Now the old Amazon? They would have found a way to have a replacement shipped out to me immediately, no questions asked. The current Amazon? Send the empty, tampered with package back to us and then we can refund your money. After that happens, then we can talk about a replacement. So I shipped the box back to Amazon, have tracking info, see that they receive said box and wait for a refund. Almost a month goes by, nothing. I call, argue with a bunch of incompetent customer service reps, get a manager who tells me I'll have my refund in 3-5 business days and wait....nothing. Go through this process for almost 2 months!!! Finally, called Chase and got them involved. Amazon basically told Chase they thought I was committing fraud. They then lied about receiving the return package when myself and UPS had the tracking number. Chase is now in the process of permanently returning my money after Amazon lied about receiving the return item. And like I said, this has become a patern with Amazon. They used to gladly refund the difference in price of an item within 30 days back to your credit card. Now you have to return, pay the return shipping yourself!?! and purchase again. Why do I want to go through all of that hassle? I've actually found that of late, Best Buy is much easier to deal with and will gladly match any Amazon pricing. The sad part is, I just bit the bullet and ordered it a second time from Amazon because the price was that much cheaper and I needed the lens. But if I had waited just another week, B&H had the same pricing with 100x better customer service. Amazon Prime is a great deal, don't get me wrong, but their days of world class customer service are long over. Like everyone else now, they start you with some guy reading a script before sending you to some incompetent person in smalltown USA who isn't much better. Ok, rant over. lol

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.