cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A worthwhile app? (First Tech / PIN related)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

A worthwhile app? (First Tech / PIN related)

I already have, among other cards:

Sapphire Reserve (main travel card)

No-AF Arrival (online PIN)

Schwab debit (no FTF)

A phone that I will soon upgrade to one able to make mobile payments. (I know I’m slow to adapt with this.)

I’m thinking of applying for a First Tech FCU card (Choice Rewards - the best with no AF). I applied a year ago and was initially approved (and on great terms) but they later rejected my membership because my credit report had not yet picked up my then-new address. I have another week or so in my year’s membership with the Computer History Museum and figured I’d apply again before I likely change addresses again.

A question for people who travel frequently internationally: Is it still very useful to have a proper primary PIN card? Or, with the cards listed above, would the marginal merchant acceptance of a First Tech card be limited? I know machines are now supposed to take Signature as well as PIN cards, but I imagine that's taking effect slowly. I’ve not used debit in ages, but it might suffice in a pinch. I hear other terminals will just reject anything from a foreign issuer. And, while I travel frequently in the US and Canada, I haven’t been overseas in non-touristy areas for a few years.

Other thoughts?

I'm inclined to get a FTFCU card just to have it ready for when I do travel again outside North America...but wonder if it will end up a low-value app if I just end up using my phone or debit card a lot...or if Chase or Citi suddenly add it as an option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Re: A worthwhile app? (First Tech / PIN related)

Don’t bother. I am traveling internationally at least twice per year. I have exactly the same cards as you. The only time my CSR didn’t work was at a train station in Copenhagen. I used the no-AF Arrival instead, which worked, because it has both offline and online PIN.

Applying for an otherwise useless CU card would be a waste of a hard pull and a pointless ding to your credit score.
Message 2 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@bz386 wrote:
Don’t bother. I am traveling internationally at least twice per year. I have exactly the same cards as you. The only time my CSR didn’t work was at a train station in Copenhagen. I used the no-AF Arrival instead, which worked, because it has both offline and online PIN.

Applying for an otherwise useless CU card would be a waste of a hard pull and a pointless ding to your credit score.

Last I read, Arrival only had online PIN. I can change the PIN online, after all, without having my card in any terminal. My existing cards might be enough, though.

And the card would otherwise be pretty useless. I'd get the $200 bonus for $3k minimum spend, but it's not exactly an amazing offer.

Message 3 of 33
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Arrival has offline PIN. You change the PIN online and the next time you use it at an online terminal, the new PIN will automatically be programmed into the chip.
Message 4 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@bz386 wrote:
Arrival has offline PIN. You change the PIN online and the next time you use it at an online terminal, the new PIN will automatically be programmed into the chip.

Ahh, yes. I forgot about that part. Use the online PIN once, then afterwards it works as offline PIN...though it will default to signature first.

Well, thanks for helping me steer clear of a low-value app!

Message 5 of 33
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have the UNFCU Azure card which is almost identical to the First Tech card.  The chip is set to "PIN priority" so it doesn't matter if you are online or offline, it always requires you to key in your PIN.  I use it all the time in Europe at gift shops, restaurants, tourist attractions, subway ticket machines, train ticket machines, etc.  I only use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for hotels.  I love the look of surprise when the waiter discovers that my American card works just like the European cards.  I say, go for it!

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how many cards you have picked up since you last applied for them but they are ultra conservative on how many cards one has opened.. I believe you should be fine for seeing your posts here and your sig, but alot of people get shut down for to many recent apps with them or too much available credit meaning you have more credit then you make in a given year.. Spoke with one of their UW and tried to recon she wanted me to give up about 150k in credit to be considered and that just wasn't going to happen.  Their money so they make the rules

Message 7 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I have the UNFCU Azure card which is almost identical to the First Tech card.  The chip is set to "PIN priority" so it doesn't matter if you are online or offline, it always requires you to key in your PIN.  I use it all the time in Europe at gift shops, restaurants, tourist attractions, subway ticket machines, train ticket machines, etc.  I only use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for hotels.  I love the look of surprise when the waiter discovers that my American card works just like the European cards.  I say, go for it!

True...there is something to be said for convenience...

I'll think it over for 24 or 48 hours.

Message 8 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Not sure how many cards you have picked up since you last applied for them but they are ultra conservative on how many cards one has opened.. I believe you should be fine for seeing your posts here and your sig, but alot of people get shut down for to many recent apps with them or too much available credit meaning you have more credit then you make in a given year.. Spoke with one of their UW and tried to recon she wanted me to give up about 150k in credit to be considered and that just wasn't going to happen.  Their money so they make the rules

My total reporting CL is around 130% of my income. Apart from my non-reporting BBP, I have only opened 1 card since then.

Do they care about stock portfolios? I have several times my income in stocks with low or no dividends.

Message 9 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

My total reporting CL is around 130% of my income. Apart from my non-reporting BBP, I have only opened 1 card since then.

Do they care about stock portfolios? I have several times my income in stocks with low or no dividends.

I am not sure about stock portfolios although certainly they should consider it, but sure they would prefer a big CD with them lol.. 

The UW I spoke with was on a recon conversation and I was tryign to convience her way to approve me so had the cards stacked against me the reason on my AA records was too many recently opened accounts, but when I spoke to her that was the main reason then she started to count my credit as well and said you are going to have to dump alot x amt of credit if you ever want to be with us, etc.. I just basically said the only reason I wanted your card was for international travel and not going to give up NFCU or PenFed(my primary CU/Bank) for you guys.  Could of just been her as well, but she couldn't get over the fact of my available credit to what I made, etc and the stopped the recon at that point.  If you are at 130% and a strong profile meaning not opening a ton of cards in the last 12-24 months you probably will be fine.  It is a Experian pull as sure you are aware as well..  You also I think mentioned you have had an account with them for a year?  Any money in account other then say a trivial 50$ or whatever?  All these things matter to CU's and could sway it in your favor as I applied and got approved for membership then next day went for the card showing I was only interested in the card which doomed me as well.. Hope this helps a bit, but just my take with them and speaking with a UW on recon and their responses.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.