cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A worthwhile app? (First Tech / PIN related)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: A worthwhile app? (First Tech / PIN related)

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I am not sure about stock portfolios although certainly they should consider it, but sure they would prefer a big CD with them lol.. 

The UW I spoke with was on a recon conversation and I was tryign to convience her way to approve me so had the cards stacked against me the reason on my AA records was too many recently opened accounts, but when I spoke to her that was the main reason then she started to count my credit as well and said you are going to have to dump alot x amt of credit if you ever want to be with us, etc.. I just basically said the only reason I wanted your card was for international travel and not going to give up NFCU or PenFed(my primary CU/Bank) for you guys.  Could of just been her as well, but she couldn't get over the fact of my available credit to what I made, etc and the stopped the recon at that point.  If you are at 130% and a strong profile meaning not opening a ton of cards in the last 12-24 months you probably will be fine.  It is a Experian pull as sure you are aware as well..  You also I think mentioned you have had an account with them for a year?  Any money in account other then say a trivial 50$ or whatever?  All these things matter to CU's and could sway it in your favor as I applied and got approved for membership then next day went for the card showing I was only interested in the card which doomed me as well.. Hope this helps a bit, but just my take with them and speaking with a UW on recon and their responses.

About a year ago, I applied over the phone for membership, a savings account, and a credit card...all in the span of a 20-minute or so call.

The credit card application was approved. Because most of my income is from 1099s rather than a W-2, they wanted to see two years' worth of tax returns instead of pay stubs. They said I had 30 days to submit them, and I would have a few days later.

However, hours later, I got an Adverse Action email notice from them saying they were rejecting my application for a savings account (and, I assumed, by extension membership) because my provided address did not match the address in my credit report. I did not pursue it beyond that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I guess I could also just join the CU now, get a savings account, and consider getting a card later...but a savings account in itself wouldn't be very useful. At that point, Schwab debit might be just as convenient, overall, for the limited spend First Tech would get.

Message 12 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Oh I thought you still had an acount with them.. In that case I would just avoid them due to the hassle and the VERY conservative nature.. I remember the conversation with the UW as well saying I had X available credit.. I said I am only using $400 dollars of it she then said you could easily basically "bust out" and we have to watch our members money, etc..  Just remembered that.. With you 1.4x in CL's assume it has grown since you applied initially meaning more credit since last applied I probably would just avoid them as it is a "nice to have", not needed type of things and quite honestly their cards aren't anythig special other then one of two places that are true chip and pin in the US.  Just my 2 cents since you don't have a savings or relationship with them currently

Message 13 of 33
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Andrews FCU could be an option. You sound like a 6.9% APR Titanium type of guy. They are easy to join. https://www.andrewsfcu.org/personal/loans-and-credit/credit-cards.html

Though conservative from data posted on this site. Not as uptight as First Tech. They pull EQ if I"m not mistaken.

Message 14 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

Andrews FCU could be an option. You sound like a 6.9% APR Titanium type of guy. They are easy to join. https://www.andrewsfcu.org/personal/loans-and-credit/credit-cards.html

Though conservative from data posted on this site. Not as uptight as First Tech. They pull EQ if I"m not mistaken.

Spotterswiki says the Andrews CVM list is:

1: Signature (paper)
2: No CVM required
3: Plaintext PIN verified by ICC

Barclaycard Arrival has:

1: Signature (paper)
2: Enciphered PIN verified online
3: Enciphered PIN verified by ICC
4: Plaintext PIN verified by ICC
5: No CVM required

Whereas FTFCU is:

1: Enciphered PIN verified online (default PIN...the feature of interest in this thread)
2: Enciphered PIN verified by ICC
3: Plaintext PIN verified by ICC
4: Signature (paper)
5: No CVM required

...so I don't see what I'd get with Andrews that I don't already have with Arrival. Andrews, like the Arrival I already have, would default to signature.

I only find APRs relevant under about 2% (what I'd carry at). Even then, with minimum payments and spending across several cards, it's generally easier to just PIF and not try to out-earn the interest with investments.

Message 15 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Oh I thought you still had an acount with them.. In that case I would just avoid them due to the hassle and the VERY conservative nature.. I remember the conversation with the UW as well saying I had X available credit.. I said I am only using $400 dollars of it she then said you could easily basically "bust out" and we have to watch our members money, etc..  Just remembered that.. With you 1.4x in CL's assume it has grown since you applied initially meaning more credit since last applied I probably would just avoid them as it is a "nice to have", not needed type of things and quite honestly their cards aren't anythig special other then one of two places that are true chip and pin in the US.  Just my 2 cents since you don't have a savings or relationship with them currently

My income has risen a bit, too, in the last year. CSR has not yet reported, and BBP does not report. If I apply tomorrow, the credit/income ratio may be lower than a year ago.

Message 16 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I have the UNFCU Azure card which is almost identical to the First Tech card.  The chip is set to "PIN priority" so it doesn't matter if you are online or offline, it always requires you to key in your PIN.  I use it all the time in Europe at gift shops, restaurants, tourist attractions, subway ticket machines, train ticket machines, etc.  I only use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for hotels.  I love the look of surprise when the waiter discovers that my American card works just like the European cards.  I say, go for it!

True...there is something to be said for convenience...

I'll think it over for 24 or 48 hours.

Surprising waiters might be fun...but First Tech Choice I think only gives 1% on dining. 3x URs might be worth a short delay after a long meal, especially if I'm paying for others. Maybe not for a short lunch, though.

Message 17 of 33
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I liked what you posted about the sequence of verification methods for Andrews FCU, Barclay, and FTFCU.  I tried to find your source page on Spotterswiki without any success.  Does the source page list all the chip+PIN cards?  If so, can you post the URL?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 18 of 33
digitek
Established Contributor

Hey UpperNW,

Here is the link that I've been using to search for this stuff:

https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/cardsearch.php?feature%5B%5D=ftf&priority=pin&type%5B%5D=credit

That is a pre-populated search of Credit Cards that have no FTF and a PIN preferrence first.  It then lists all the verification methods that go along with that card.

I was eyeballing that State Department FCU 2% card, but it sounds like it is similar to First Tech in that they are conservative and don't like large total credit limits.  I almost went for a First Tech card awhile ago but realized I would hardly ever use it.  It would be nice to have, but even when travelling overseas I'd likely use my CSR first most of the time anyway (great 24/7 customer service and better cash back at restaurants).  I'd use the State Department card as my daily driver I think even while stateside.  Citi DC has been good to me, but never did like the FTF on it, and State Department card also has Cell Phone insurance built in.

Goodluck with whatever you choose wasCB, I am close to doing the same and am interested in what card you pick and what happens when you apply =D

Message 19 of 33
redpat
Senior Contributor

Euros always work for me if I needed a PIN.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.