cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3X CLI question.

tag
dmjohnson

AMEX 3X CLI question.

Hey all, Just a quick question about the AMEX 3X CLI after 61 days topic. Yes, I have read what I can in the guide for it, but I have not found a straight answer from anyone in there. I have the Delta gold and the BCE card, both at $1000, my 61 day mark is in exactly 2 weeks for the Delta, and a little over that for the BCE (Was approved for the BCE before even receiving my Delta card.) question is, have people had luck geting the CLI carrying a balance? I used it to buy plane tickets a couple days after receiving it, trying to get up to the $1000 spend to receive my Delta Miles (which btw, were in my account about a week later.) Ran the card up, and paid $75% of it off, ran it up again and just paid about 75% off again. Just curious if this will show them "Hey, I will spend more money with you if you raise my limit" or if this will be bad and should wait a bit to hit the button. I got approved with lower end scores, 640 ish at the time of approval for both cards. due to a recent vacation and not wanting to spend all my personal money while gone, utilization went way up, about 80%, but just made big payments on all of my cards to cut that back down. Just wanted to hear some of your guys input!

Btw, yes, I know if I am approved for the CLI I can not get one on my BCE after the 61 day mark, but that is okay, as I got an email from AMEX after apporval that an auto CLI is in order after 5 on time payments.

Also, new on the credit journey and Income is between $40k and $42K ( I get paid hourly, but get extra pay for writing technical articles for my company, the more articles, the more money I make, just depends on how hard I want to work lol).

Let me know, thanks! 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3X CLI question.

Yes
Message 2 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Having a balance on the card shouldn't be an issue, but having another card on Amex's version of "credit steps" gives me pause as to whether a CLI is likely or not, particularly if your EX FICO 08 score hasn't increased considerably.  Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen.  Best of luck!

Message 3 of 25
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Five on time payments means five months my friend. You won’t get 61 days because of your lower score, SL, CR, etc.. Check five months from now. Remember if they auto increase your limit either you can triple that limit.
Message 4 of 25
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

I carried near 50% of my cl for 3-4 months and got my CLI 3X!
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the information you provided I would be very surprised if you're given a 61-day CLI on your Delta Gold...you'd be better off waiting until 180 days have elapsed to establish a payment record with Amex and to allow your FICO scores to recover/increase from the hit it must have taken from opening two accounts in quick succession (inquiries and reduced average age of accounts).

Message 6 of 25
dmjohnson

I appreciate the input guys! I too, am skeptical about the increase and do not think that I have very good odds in my favor. But, the way I understand it is if I am denied the CLI, I can re try again in 90 days correct? Unless I am reading it all wrong, that is the way I understand their system. If that is the case, I could wait until the 180 day mark, and then try for the increase, or I could go for it, and if I am denied I have to wait 90 days, that will put me roughly 1 month before the 180 day mark, so it really wouldn't hurt me any to try, again, if I am thinking about this correctly. (I have been known to over think things).

If that is the case, I can just hit the button with a grain of salt, and if approved great, if not, can't really say I am surprised, and have no room to be upset about it. I got myself into the mess I am in credit wise. I take responsibility for what I created and now I have to live with the consequences for a while.

Again, thank you all for the indirect help for the last 5 months. I was a lurker until last week when I decided to take the plunge and actually pay for my scores, after I found out CK was a joke. I was naive.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Based on the information you provided I would be very surprised if you're given a 61-day CLI on your Delta Gold...you'd be better off waiting until 180 days have elapsed to establish a payment record with Amex and to allow your FICO scores to recover/increase from the hit it must have taken from opening two accounts in quick succession (inquiries and reduced average age of accounts).

There is no need to wait until 180 days to try.  Doesn’t accomplish anything to wait.  Try at 61 days and if you’re denied, you can try again in 90 days and so on.  As CLI requests are SPs, there is no harm whatsoever in trying as soon as you’re eligible.  Not really going to change the timing schedule in any meaningful way.

Message 8 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

There is no need to wait until 180 days to try.  Doesn’t accomplish anything to wait.  Try at 61 days and if you’re denied, you can try again in 90 days and so on.  As CLI requests are SPs, there is no harm whatsoever in trying as soon as you’re eligible.  Not really going to change the timing schedule in any meaningful way.

Indeed. Better to have two attempts in 5 months than one attempt in 6 months. Just makes sense to increase the odds of getting an increase.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

All true; but the OP is in "credit steps" on their BCE which means no CLI before the first five statement cuts/180 days.  And let's be honest...the Delta Gold was probably issued without similar restrictive conditions because its a co-branded card and such conditions aren't allowed by the partner.  Plus, the OP admits to being new to credit which makes me assume that their scores will take a dent from opening 2 2 new accounts.

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.