Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE upgrade

tag
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

AMEX BCE upgrade

I received an email to upgrade my BCE to a BCP card with $150 for spending $1,000 in 3 months.  I have done the math and now with the addtion of 6% on streaming services and 3% on transit, it more than offsets the AF.  

My question is when I click on the offer, it takes me to a page that states you are applying for this card, but it does show the RSVP code for the upgrade and only asks for the last 4 of my SS number.   Since I have never requested an upgrade with AMEX, is this correct for the upgrade?

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE upgrade

Yep, that’s normal. It shouldn’t be a HP or anything. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 7
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

Thanks pinkandgrey

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 3 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Winesnoblv wrote:

I received an email to upgrade my BCE to a BCP card with $150 for spending $1,000 in 3 months.  I have done the math and now with the addtion of 6% on streaming services and 3% on transit, it more than offsets the AF.  

My question is when I click on the offer, it takes me to a page that states you are applying for this card, but it does show the RSVP code for the upgrade and only asks for the last 4 of my SS number.   Since I have never requested an upgrade with AMEX, is this correct for the upgrade?

Is that $150 with a first-year AF waived?

There have been a lot of offers for:

$250, $1k spend, AF due

$150, $1k spend, AF waived for a year

If your offer does not come with a waived first-year AF, you might consider holding out a few months for a better upgrade offer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I'd hold out for the $250 offer if you have the will power. As you say the money saves on CB offsets the AF, so that means an extra $100 in your favor. 

Granted my spend is lower than most here, but I have already seen $20 cash back since the upgrade from all the extra categories. Not bad.

With the BCE it felt like it took forever to be able to redeem. lol

P.S. Does anyone know how to find out which purchase are really getting the 6%, like how the Gold breaks down where you're earning 4X MR?

I tried searching yesterday for a good hour and couldn't find it, just a pie chart denoting the category my purchases were in. 

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S. Does anyone know how to find out which purchase are really getting the 6%, like how the Gold breaks down where you're earning 4X MR?

I tried searching yesterday for a good hour and couldn't find it, just a pie chart denoting the category my purchases were in. 

Go to Statements and Activity tab, then Preview New Version

This shows transactions and (after a few days) will mark 6% Cash Back on those transactions that got it.

This looks like a recent addition, using the Preview New Version before gave the info but needed more clicks!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!

It's nice to confirm where I'm actually getting the 6%, such as Hulu and Netflix. There's a Market I go to on the way to work, and I found out that it only gets 3%. And nothing at Fred Meyer, where I accidently used it instead of another CC. I really wish they would get on board and code as Grocery! lol

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.