Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE vs Everyday Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCE vs Everyday Cash

Hey, just got the pre-quals

I've seen many of these threads, but they were from a few years ago (specifically around the time Sallie Mae card made the Everyday card the winner)

In it's current state, can anyone tell me in my situation which card might be better for me? Overall, my biggest interest is to join AMEX.

I'm a graduate student (medical school) finishing up next year, I currently have a NFCU CC ($13K CL) with 1.5% cash back, a CapOne Quiksilver ($3.5K CL) with 1.5% cashback. I also have a Discover IT but this one will be out of commission for the next 2 years ($4000 balance transfer happening soon).

My gf and I take vacations maybe once or twice per year (sometimes out of the country, sometimes a few states over), and occasionally fly back home (SoCal <-> Norcal), always ECONOMY seats. We always try to find the cheapest deal for flights (kayak, expedia, etc) and use airbnb when we can.

We spend around $400-$600 on groceries per month. I'm getting a Prius soon so I'll be getting at least 35-40 MPG. I primarily shop on amazon.com (no time to go into B&M stores these days)

Thanks for any insight

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE vs Everyday Cash

You have cash back cards already ... I'd opt for the EveryDay for the points, which can be transferred to miles. 

I was in the same position last month, and I went with the BCE ... I kinda wish I had gone with the Everyday at this point. One of my goals for the coming year(s) is to travel more. Good on your for not pulling the trigger and THEN asking questions Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You have cash back cards already ... I'd opt for the EveryDay for the points, which can be transferred to miles. 

I was in the same position last month, and I went with the BCE ... I kinda wish I had gone with the Everyday at this point. One of my goals for the coming year(s) is to travel more. Good on your for not pulling the trigger and THEN asking questions Smiley Happy 

Awesome, thanks for the advice! And yeah, really glad I didn't pull the trigger prematurely lol Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

We spend around $400-$600 on groceries per month. I'm getting a Prius soon so I'll be getting at least 35-40 MPG. I primarily shop on amazon.com (no time to go into B&M stores these days)

Thanks for any insight

If you are spending that much at popular groceries stores (and not at discount stores like Target/Walmart/Costco/99 cent stores) then you might want to look at the the BCP.  6% on $4800/yr in groceries equals $288 - $95 AF = $193; maxed out $6000/yr will net you $265  The BCE with 3% on groceries will only get you $144-180.  The breakpoint between them is $3167/yr in groceries.

Even if you don't spend that much at grocery stores you can also get an Amazon gift card there once in awhile to virtually get some Amazon spending at 6%. You also get an extra 1% on gas and a little higher initial spend bonus which will offset some of the higher AF.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for any insight

If you are spending that much at popular groceries stores (and not at discount stores like Target/Walmart/Costco/99 cent stores) then you might want to look at the the BCP.  6% on $4800/yr in groceries equals $288 - $95 AF = $193; maxed out $6000/yr will net you $265  The BCE with 3% on groceries will only get you $144-180.  The breakpoint between them is $3167/yr in groceries.

Even if you don't spend that much at grocery stores you can also get an Amazon gift card there once in awhile to virtually get some Amazon spending at 6%. You also get an extra 1% on gas and a little higher initial spend bonus which will offset some of the higher AF.

Thank you, I appreciate the extra insight. That does sound good, however at this time I only prequalify for the BCE and Everyday Cash. I'm not sure, given my profile, that I'll get better offers from them in the next 6mo -1yr Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.