cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLD From 14K to $1800. I'm Devastated.

tag
Luxeedee
New Contributor

Re: AMEX Decreased my Limit From 14K to 1800. I'm Devastated.

@7774x wrote:

.. Many other cards give out high limits...that are Not twitchy....

I'll have to look into other cards that give high limits....that are Not twitchy...  Smiley Happy 

I have a number of cards large and small, yet only Amex slashed my limit. Even my Care credit with Synchrony did not crash and burn.  I had heavy usage on 3 cards last Spring so Synchrony cut back one card by 30%.   

I requested a cli from Amex back in December and they said I was at the limit for my income. So I tread lightly and charged nothing for 3 months.  To go from 14K to below 2K, to cut by 85% is very dramatic. I'd rather build a relationship with a company that will actually allow me to use the card for credit, not be a credit card in name only but function like a charge card you can't actually use.

Message 21 of 22
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Decreased my Limit From 14K to 1800. I'm Devastated.

"So I tread lightly and charged nothing for 3 months.  To go from 14K to below 2K, to cut by 85% is very dramatic."

This is the opposite of what they wanted you to do - you asked for more CL - they said no, so you didn't use the card

this basically proved that you didn't need the extra room on the card, because you weren't using it anyway

card lenders make their money on Swipes - if you don't swipe it, you are not their ideal customer

use the card as you normally would - then wait and see if the CL opens back up for you

Amex/Apple/Cap1 definitely judge your CL on usage - you need to use it or they aren't interesting in increasing 

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.