AMEX Credit Line Decrease Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Credit Line Decrease Question

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

We kind of need an "unknown rules of credit card issuers" thread.

1.) Never get a cash advance on your American Express card.  They offer it, but don't actually use it.

2.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay it in full after the next statement they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay this off over time.

3.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay this off over time they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay it in full after the first statement.

Okay, maybe just those 3 cover it. Sorry about the CLD, OP. No harm in trying after 30 days, really.  If it's too soon, it won't reset any kind of counter.  Not sure if a CLD is treated the same as a decline, which would be 181 days.  The reinstatement I would assume is treated like an auto-CLI which doesn't reset any clocks.

I have used my Barclays cards for BTs several times and never have had any issues whatsoever.

+1  I have even cashed 5 or 6 1k-3k convenience checks into my personal account and paid them off as lengthy as 4 months and never a CLD. 

Same here.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an AMEX Blue and an AMEX everyday card. Started with a designated credit line on both accounts, was approved for line increases on both accounts THEN AMEX decreased my credit lines and left me with not so good credit score because it appears that I nearly maxed out both cards, when in actuallity it wasn't nearly even 1/4 of the limits, no satisfaction by chatting with AMEX on their website or talking with them...what does one do to get tehir credit lines back?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an AMEX Blue and an AMEX everyday card. Started with a designated credit line on both accounts, was approved for line increases on both accounts THEN AMEX decreased my credit lines and left me with not so good credit score because it appears that I nearly maxed out both cards, when in actuallity it wasn't nearly even 1/4 of the limits, no satisfaction by chatting with AMEX on their website or talking with them...what does one do to get tehir credit lines back?

Sounds like you run high utilization on more than a few of your cards which is a red flag that you aren't using credit responsibly.

If you want to get your credit limits back, start paying all your cards down to below 8% before the statement cuts and don't show balances on more than 30% of the cards you have open.  If you have 10 cards, only report a balance on 3 or fewer and less than 8% utilization each.

Then do this for 6-12 months and show you're a responsible and safe borrower and ask for CLIs again.

If you have any late payments reported in the prior 2 years, forget it for now -- those are worse than high utilization.

Message 13 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

2.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay it in full after the next statement they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay this off over time.

3.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay this off over time they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay it in full after the first statement.

I see what you did there.

Message 14 of 16
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

We kind of need an "unknown rules of credit card issuers" thread.

1.) Never get a cash advance on your American Express card.  They offer it, but don't actually use it.

Okay, maybe just those 3 cover it. Sorry about the CLD, OP. No harm in trying after 30 days, really.  If it's too soon, it won't reset any kind of counter.  Not sure if a CLD is treated the same as a decline, which would be 181 91 days.  The reinstatement I would assume is treated like an auto-CLI which doesn't reset any clocks.

(Edit: Noticed when I was quoted below that I made a typo above.  With Amex, you are not eligible for a credit line increase until after 90 days have passed since a declined CLI request, or after 180 days have passed since you last received a cardholder-requested CLI.)

4) NEVER EVER pay the minimun amount due on a Cap1 acount. Doing so will result in you getting the message that minimum payments have been too small when you ask for  CLI

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 15 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That’s a good #4, Meanmchine.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.