QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

My AMEX Portfolio is as follows:
Platinum
Gold
Everyday Preferred 15K CL
HHonors Aspire 6k CL
Marriot Bonvoy 1k CL (small because I've moved around the CL to reflect usage, this one is rarely used, if ever)

I'm considering getting the Green card, with it's revamped point structure.

I RARELY use the Gold card, and usually use the everyday preferred for daily spend, and platinum for travel purchases.

Could I get the Green card to replace the Gold card?

I really don't make much use of the Grubhub benefit, or the 4x points at Restaurants.

Both cards seem to cannibalize into eachother, unless I'm missing something.

Also, yes I am leary about how much I am paying in AF, so that is something to consider...

Does AMEX have a trifecta like chase?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

I think the Green + EDP + BBP would make a pretty impressive combo for $245 combined AF.

3x travel/transit

3x restaurants

3x gas

4.5x groceries

2x everything else

Would work well for anyone who has a decent amount of travel spend.

I seriously considered shifting to this setup, but I decided I would stick with Gold+BBP.  The AF is about the same and I spend more on restaurants than groceries, so I come out slightly ahead.  I don't spend much on travel, except when it's time to cash in points, and then I do it for free.  I live in a small city so I drive everywhere, but gas spend is small enough that missing an extra point there is no big deal.  And I don't have to play any of the EDP purchase count shenanigans.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you rarely use the Gold card and don't use the dining credit. I would app for the Green card with the 45k MR SUB and then close out the Gold card when the next AF hit.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really don’t like the Gold, I would cancel it and go for the Green. Depending on when you opened though, because if it’s before that second AF, you could get some points clawed back.

Jesus, an AMEX Bonvoy with a 1K credit line is rough lol
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I think the Green + EDP + BBP would make a pretty impressive combo for $245 combined AF.

3x travel/transit

3x restaurants

3x gas

4.5x groceries

2x everything else

Would work well for anyone who has a decent amount of travel spend.

I seriously considered shifting to this setup, but I decided I would stick with Gold+BBP.  The AF is about the same and I spend more on restaurants than groceries, so I come out slightly ahead.  I don't spend much on travel, except when it's time to cash in points, and then I do it for free.  I live in a small city so I drive everywhere, but gas spend is small enough that missing an extra point there is no big deal.  And I don't have to play any of the EDP purchase count shenanigans.

I think the Green + EDP + BBP is a bad combo because IMO the EDP + BBP will confilict each other a lot.  EDP is only worth it if you can hit 30+ transactions monthly with the card in order to get the 50% extra MR points.  Depending on the spend it might be better just do Green + EDP or Green + BBP.

I just got my Green Card about a week ago and I'm also looking to get another card for a MR combo.  While I thought the EDP was very tempting, my spend is pretty much stated that I'll gain an extra 10,000 MR points but paying for them with an AF.  Since there's no way to make the $95 AF become an effective AF, I found the BBP to be a better card overrall without the 30+ transactions requirement of the BBP and a very solid 2x on everything. 

Message 5 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

It wouldn't be that hard.  Just use the EDP for some small transactions along with the gas and groceries, whatever it takes to get it up to 30 swipes.  Once you're sure of that, you can do the BBP for 2x on all miscellaneous spend after that and just use the EDP for gas and groceries.  They actually could complement each other pretty well for optimizing point earnings.

The only tricky part would be getting 30 swipes in.  I have a break room vending machine at my office that takes credit cards, so that makes it easy.  I'd rather not have to worry about it, though, so I don't.

Also, it would only make sense to do it that way if your grocery/gas spend is high enough to merit spending $95 per year to get 4.5x/3x back.  Otherwise ditching the EDP and just doing the BBP for those categories (or just doing Gold+BBP like I do) may work out better.

Message 6 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Amex has purposely designed their cards to not really work super well together IMO. They want to encourage people to pick one that's "good enough" and use it for everything, not maximize rewards. Having both the Green and the Gold would be redundant IMO. If you aren't getting huge out of the 4x dining, I'm not sure how 3x dining is going to serve you much better. The AF is only $100 less. The Green does have 3x on a wider range of travel. Don't ignore other options out there, too, unless you really wanted to stick with Amex. Maybe their lineup just doesn't completely suit your spend and that's fine too.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

It wouldn't be that hard.  Just use the EDP for some small transactions along with the gas and groceries, whatever it takes to get it up to 30 swipes.  Once you're sure of that, you can do the BBP for 2x on all miscellaneous spend after that and just use the EDP for gas and groceries.  They actually could complement each other pretty well for optimizing point earnings.

The only tricky part would be getting 30 swipes in.  I have a break room vending machine at my office that takes credit cards, so that makes it easy.  I'd rather not have to worry about it, though, so I don't.

Also, it would only make sense to do it that way if your grocery/gas spend is high enough to merit spending $95 per year to get 4.5x/3x back.  Otherwise ditching the EDP and just doing the BBP for those categories (or just doing Gold+BBP like I do) may work out better.

I'm not really seeting that with regards to the EDP.  I only charge three-five times a month for gas and groceries I go to Wal-Mart (which doesn't really count as a Supermarket).  I think it is a spend problem.  For supermarkets if Wal-Mart was included I can do $4500 a year on it plus $500 a year on gas.  I just don't think the ROI would be enough for me to do the EDP and use the BBP for everything else.  Just for me it is easier to do Green + BBP and call it a day. 

Message 8 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

I had the EDP for a couple of years, starting in 2015. I have several other cards, so when I was heading toward a month I knew I would have a significant non-cat spend, I would purposely use the EDP to ramp up to the 30 swipes. It was a chore.  So I closed it. 

Soon after I PC'd a Slate to CFU, and that was sweet.  No sweat.  

I also use cards in the vending machines, with the idea of keeping the cards busy.  It's actually more expensive than if one ( me ) was to plan better and get the snacks less expensive elsewhere, but it keeps my cards happy, and does feed the EDP well.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

My story with edp while it’s a good card the thirty swipes was annoying and if freedom had gas or groceries one quarter would be used not as much. I ended up switching to gold for 4x restaurant and groceries Didn’t have to worry as much about groceries cap like I did with edp. Moved gas spend to my citi premier , for right now just using chase fu for uncategorized spend. May move to bbp in the future

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.