Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pop-Up Jail

tag
InnoVadoR
Established Member

AMEX Pop-Up Jail

I've been considering the Hilton Surpass card from AMEX after doing some research into hotel cards and decided to bite the bullet on it. However, upon applying, I get a pop-up telling me that I'm not eligible for the welcome bonus. I did a bit more research and found out that people usually get that pop-up when AMEX finds that the applicant-in-question doesn't use their cards as they would like. That being said, I've only ever had the AMEX Gold and AMEX EveryDay, both of which are still open, and the Gold is my primary card for any food-related purchases. I use the AMEX EveryDay somewhat sparsely, generally just for monthly subscriptions. Would that be why, maybe?

For extra context, I'm currently in the 720's for TransUnion and Equifax.

Just doesn't make sense. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Pop-Up Jail

It isn't just AMEX cards it is all your cards and how recently opened they were among other things AMEX considers with regards to getting the pop-up.  One thing is for certain if you are costing AMEX more money with subs than they are making off you then more likely to get pop-up if not using cards much.  I was in their "jail" for awhile, but then started to use them being AMEX more and not apply for near as many cards due to mortgage then I ended up being able to get subs again and haven't been turned down since from a new sub with them.  Just my 2 cents on the subject

Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@InnoVadoR wrote:

I've been considering the Hilton Surpass card from AMEX after doing some research into hotel cards and decided to bite the bullet on it. However, upon applying, I get a pop-up telling me that I'm not eligible for the welcome bonus. I did a bit more research and found out that people usually get that pop-up when AMEX finds that the applicant-in-question doesn't use their cards as they would like. That being said, I've only ever had the AMEX Gold and AMEX EveryDay, both of which are still open, and the Gold is my primary card for any food-related purchases. I use the AMEX EveryDay somewhat sparsely, generally just for monthly subscriptions. Would that be why, maybe?

For extra context, I'm currently in the 720's for TransUnion and Equifax.

Just doesn't make sense. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Usually it's related to when you last got a signup bonus.   But if that's not an issue I guess @CreditCuriosity's idea is the correct one.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
InnoVadoR
Established Member

@CreditCuriosity I thought they didn't even look at credit history unless you accepted the pop-up? How would they look at your other cards, especially if they were recently opened? I at least use my Gold almost daily. It'd be really petty of them if they're getting onto me just because I don't use the EveryDay that much. Do you think it might be dollar amount related? I put the more intense spending on my Venture X or CSP, now.

It's just very frustrating as I'm looking to travel a lot next year with some extended family, all of whom are using Hilton cards, so it'd have been nice to all have similar rooms and perks.

Thanks for the insight so far, though!

Message 4 of 10
InnoVadoR
Established Member

@SouthJamaica I've read that, too, but the last bonus I received was in May of 2019. Haven't touched any AMEX applications since then.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@InnoVadoR wrote:

@SouthJamaica I've read that, too, but the last bonus I received was in May of 2019. Haven't touched any AMEX applications since then.

I think some of them have a "lifetime" clause: i.e. no SUB if you've ever had the card in the past.

If I'm not mistaken, some may have a "4 year" clause too (but on this I'm not certain, you'd need an Amex expert to confirm or debunk that).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@InnoVadoR wrote:

@CreditCuriosity I thought they didn't even look at credit history unless you accepted the pop-up? How would they look at your other cards, especially if they were recently opened? I at least use my Gold almost daily. It'd be really petty of them if they're getting onto me just because I don't use the EveryDay that much. Do you think it might be dollar amount related? I put the more intense spending on my Venture X or CSP, now.

It's just very frustrating as I'm looking to travel a lot next year with some extended family, all of whom are using Hilton cards, so it'd have been nice to all have similar rooms and perks.

Thanks for the insight so far, though!

Yes, they consider external factors outside of your American Express account and history. So, if you've opened/closed a slew of accounts in X period, they will internally factor that. No, it's not dollar amount related.

Unfortunately, time will be your best friend since there is no exact timeframe for these "pop-up jail" instances.

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@InnoVadoR wrote:

I think some of them have a "lifetime" clause: i.e. no SUB if you've ever had the card in the past.

If I'm not mistaken, some may have a "4 year" clause too (but on this I'm not certain, you'd need an Amex expert to confirm or debunk that).

It's typically greater than ~7 years and it's YEMV.

Message 8 of 10
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

P2 had the AmEx pops on new card bonus a while ago.  Then we started to use the Gold card more often and heavily.  Then the pop just went away.  We opened a new Platinum card and received the 150k bonus.  So to me, it is more relationship based.

For members who like to churn AmEx and do not use the cards, they would get more pops.

Message 9 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I was in "pop up jail" for awhile, @InnoVadoR.  My Gold card was approved with 75K SUB  on 08/15/2020.  My spending on the card was heavy during SUB and then was less.  I posted about the pop-up jail situation on 05/07/2021 and in my case, I had no new accounts or inquiries in the preceeding 8.5 months.  I continued to use the Gold card and about six months later on 11/04/2021, they approved me for a SUB on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant.  

My personal belief is it's more related to the spend and usage on prior cards after achieving a SUB, but possibly taking into account the cards you've opened and closed, along with new accounts which might indicate churning behavior.   I'd suggest just giving it a few months and trying again.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.