Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Regret

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

AMEX Regret

I was super excited to find out that I was pre-approved for a few Amex cards a few months ago. I decided to go with the AMEX Delta Gold. I was excited just to have my foot in the door with AMEX for the first time ever. I was approved for a $1k SL. Now I'm about 3 months in and I don't really see the value in having this card. The SUB of 50k miles was nice but that's it. Kind of wish I would have gotten the BCP. It's a more useful card.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Regret

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I was super excited to find out that I was pre-approved for a few Amex cards a few months ago. I decided to go with the AMEX Delta Gold. I was excited just to have my foot in the door with AMEX for the first time ever. I was approved for a $1k SL. Now I'm about 3 months in and I don't really see the value in having this card. The SUB of 50k miles was nice but that's it. Kind of wish I would have gotten the BCP. It's a more useful card.

Airline cards are not known for being "useful."  They have two primary values:  the signup bonus and the perks (first bag free, early boarding, etc).  The BCP, on the other hand is good for earning rewards from ongoing spending.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 14
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy  Lesson learned. This card will most likely go in my sock drawer. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest product changing the card to no fee Amex Delta Blue after annual fee posts next year.

Message 4 of 14
MudkipsRKooL
Regular Contributor

you gotta think positive at least it's not your oldest credit card like Credit One or First Premiere where if you close it you would lose AAoA and drop 10-20 points so are forced to pay $99/year. You can always downgrade after paying the AF next year.

Current score: 778ex | 774tu | 777eq
INQ status: 1/24, 1/12

Currrent Cards:

Future:
Message 5 of 14
Rudy1
Established Contributor

I also went with the Delta Gold American Express you may regret it I don't 50k for me is a lot as I am traveling all the time The card has earned me quite a bit of miles as it is one of my primary cards. I also think that this card has helped me get my foot in with Amex as you said. One perk I can think of that comes with this card vs the blue is first bag free and a $100 flight credit though I suppose this may not really benfit people who don't travel a ton.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 6 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest product changing the card to no fee Amex Delta Blue after annual fee posts next year.

Product changing removes the ability to ever get the sub on the card.  I would much rather close the card than to close myself out of the opportunity to get the sub on the card.  

Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

No regertsSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Rudy1 wrote:

I also went with the Delta Gold American Express you may regret it I don't 50k for me is a lot as I am traveling all the time The card has earned me quite a bit of miles as it is one of my primary cards. I also think that this card has helped me get my foot in with Amex as you said. One perk I can think of that comes with this card vs the blue is first bag free and a $100 flight credit though I suppose this may not really benfit people who don't travel a ton.

This.

It has been worth it for me just for the checked baggage and early boarding. On southwest, no matter how early I pre-board, I always end up in a latter group and my carry-on has to sit a few rows behind me meaning I have to wait for everyone to get off before I can go get it. With my Delta, it sits with me in comfort+ and I'm on and off the plane quickly. On top of that, despite having a smaller SUB than you, I've already gotten 4 free flights out of it with less travel than I normally do.

Message 9 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@UpperNwGuy  Lesson learned. This card will most likely go in my sock drawer. 

lol, actually not really a lesson. You were looking for a "way in" and its common knowledge here on myFico, that this is, more or less, the easiest card to get. Getting a 50k SUB is a sufficient way to start off your Amex career lol so  no worries there. The card will have served its purpose in establishing you with Amex. Just dont go closing it before 12 months🤯

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.