Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED FOR AMEX

tag
Achase
Regular Contributor

APPROVED FOR AMEX

I HAVE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AMEX FOR THE LAST YEAR ...WELL TODAY I SUCCEEDED AND I CANT WIAT UNTIL MY new cards arrive yes i said cards...amex has denied me atleast 3 times this year but today to no avail i was approved.. first i apped for the green rewards card and the website said that it cant decision right now but 2 min later i received an email saying i was approved. so i called amex and wanted to switch it to a gold card because gold is better..lol the guy said id have to wait 6 months or app again so i applied for a gold and instant approval again...

6 inquiries showing on report at the time of application

21 accounts showing in good standing mostly old closed cards

5 potentially negative accounts all zero balance

3 sallie mae student loans

1 navy federal credit card

1 charge off acct

3 recently closed with  balance

$5000cl- $4082 bal MC BofA

$7500cl- $26 bal Visa BofA

$5800- $5000 bal visa MCU Credit union this is an error because this acct is open but it shows closed for whatever reason

3 zero balance open

$2500cl MC USAA

$1000cl Visa Targe

$250 sears card auth user since 1995

3 with balance showing close to limit

$5250cl- $5227bal Barclay visa

$5000cl  $4900bal Sears MC

$1300cl $300 Bal amazon card

1 auto loan

30,000cl 26,667 bal Capital one had it since 11/09

lasts 26 months i have had no missed payments at all but i just recovered from a tough credit pitfull so amex looks for 24 months of no credi problems

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: APPROVED FOR AMEX

Congrats but two amex charge cards?  Do ensure that you'll get the value you want (considering the hefty AFs after the 1st year free)  

Also be prepared for F/R, may want to lay low with amex, and let them get to know you before you start making additional loan requests and putting yourself in the spotlight while you still have neg info and some high balances reporting.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 5
Achase
Regular Contributor

yea your right after getting approved i just said ima pay down all debt and no more charging or applying for credit.....well actually after they approved me i took the chance for a chase card and was instantly DENIED...so im happy with my current mix no more applying and im sure b4 my year is over the green card will most like get switched to a blue card or just close it all toget because i really do not have use for 2 account like that. im happy with the gold card and i plan on continuing to pay down debt so i can eventually be debt free other that maybe car note and mortgage if i ever get the opportunity to be able to afford to purchase some property

Message 3 of 5
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Congratulations! Even though having two charge cards with hefty fees kind of sucks (in my view at least). It's interesting that Amex approves two charge cards with someone who has a considerable debt level to carry. This is absolutely no criticism against you!!! It speaks volumes, though, about Amex's desire to accept customers that they would have probably declined in the past. Good for you! May they give you lots of rewards points.

Message 4 of 5
Achase
Regular Contributor

your right thats what i was thinking too. that is  i posted this info with as much detail as i could to let others know to bite the bullet and try with american express again even if they have been denied in the past because you never know what the out come could be.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.