Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a card? What's best?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add a card? What's best?

So I have the QS, a revolving line from my bank, and an auto installment loan. All in good standing now. Should I add another card?

If so, what's out there for fair scores with no annual fees? I despise those things....

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Add a card? What's best?

Yes, I would add two more cards. The Chase Freedom Unlimited is a nice card and I would also look into an NFCU membership and apply for one of their cards. All of them have no AF with the exception of the Flagship. 

Edit: It all depends on the rewards structures you find appealing and what would benefit you the most. There are many good cards out there to include Discover. 

Message 2 of 41
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Seriously? The freedom unlimited has the exact same rewards structure as the qs which the OP already has. Randomly recommending cards is not that helpful.
OP I would recommend you look at your spend and figure out if there is a category you might benefit from by having a card just for that (gas, dining, etc).
Message 3 of 41
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
Seriously? The freedom unlimited has the exact same rewards structure as the qs which the OP already has. Randomly recommending cards is not that helpful.
OP I would recommend you look at your spend and figure out if there is a category you might benefit from by having a card just for that (gas, dining, etc).

If you read the entire thing I specifically said that it all depends on the rewards structure the OP would benefit from. Thank you for your input though. 

Message 4 of 41
dragontears
Senior Contributor

LOL yes I read your after thought. You don't need to be so defensive when someone points out flaws in your advice.
So Thank You for providing vague imput
Message 5 of 41
newhis
Valued Contributor

Please define 'fair scores'.

You only have the QS with $300 limit that you opened in August?

You need to report your balance between $3-$20, to have the most points for UTIL.

If you are reporting $0, or $30+ you are not getting all the points you can.

I think you should go with card that will grow with SP CLI.

My favorites for this: Amex BCE and Discover.

If they deny you, you can try again in a few months.

Visit Amex site and try the pre-qual.

I tried evey week until they show me something (when my credit was new, I think I tried for 6-8 weeks).

Good luck.

Message 6 of 41
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
LOL yes I read your after thought. You don't need to be so defensive when someone points out flaws in your advice.
So Thank You for providing vague imput

Input*

For real though, I am not upset at all. OP was just asking for some non-AF cards and those were the first that came to my mind that get the foot in the door at both institutions. Personally, I prefer hotel cards because I am a creature of habit and stay in the same hotels depending on where I travel to. Unfortunately, many of the good ones have an AF. 

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest a Discover It.

You can use the Discover for the 5% back rotating categories and your QS for all non-category spend.

I would also suggest the original Chase Freedom (5% rotating categories) as aneeded option but Chase is harder to get a foot in the door with and I hear Discover is very good with CLI, allowing you to grow with the card. I think that would be a good combination for you. Just look at what their rotating categories are first and see if you can make use of it.
Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

Please define 'fair scores'.

You only have the QS with $300 limit that you opened in August?

You need to report your balance between $3-$20, to have the most points for UTIL.

If you are reporting $0, or $30+ you are not getting all the points you can.

I think you should go with card that will grow with SP CLI.

My favorites for this: Amex BCE and Discover.

If they deny you, you can try again in a few months.

Visit Amex site and try the pre-qual.

I tried evey week until they show me something (when my credit was new, I think I tried for 6-8 weeks).

Good luck.

Sorry, scores are 590-613. Per CCT. Utilization rate I've kept great. Paying in full well before due date. 

Message 9 of 41
BirchBarlow
Contributor

Well the Freedom Unlimited is a good card, but it's virtually identical to QS in terms of reward structure.  (Does QS have a bonus mall like Chase and Discover?)  The original Freedom would be a good companion to QS, but of course Chase is known for denying people with thin files.  The Discover 5% card would also be a good companion to QS and I think Discover is more willing to take people with thin files provided they're in good standing.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.