Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a card? What's best?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Add a card? What's best?

Yeah. That does make a lot of sense. I can leave NFCU alone until next year. They will probably throw out an offer by then. 

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Caleb, I would absolutely NOT take a secured card from Discover. NFCU is extremely accepting of profiles and you already have added one HP to gain membership. I would apply for one of their unsecured cards and if they will not approve you I would go for the NFCU secured card. They are very good about graduating people and you can product change to any one of their cards after you have graduated. Discover is a mixed bag about graduating and IMO will not care about your business as much as NFCU. Good luck!

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing like four pages of clear, concise, perfect agreement advice- right, Caleb? Smiley Wink

Since you have already apped NFCU and the other CU I would go ahead and follow through with that and see what you get. Other than that I would just sit back and wait. You will be getting your steps increase probably next month which will help your scores, as will more time of on time payments. Just keep doing what you are doing, good credit takes time.

Message 33 of 41
driftless
Valued Contributor

tidegirl wrote:

Nothing like four pages of clear, concise, perfect agreement advice- right, Caleb? Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Caleb, I would absolutely NOT take a secured card from Discover. NFCU is extremely accepting of profiles and you already have added one HP to gain membership. I would apply for one of their unsecured cards and if they will not approve you I would go for the NFCU secured card. They are very good about graduating people and you can product change to any one of their cards after you have graduated. Discover is a mixed bag about graduating and IMO will not care about your business as much as NFCU. Good luck!

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to NFCU. I just don't know much about them. Obviously, I wouldn't/couldn't advise someone not to go that route (especially after already using a HP to become a member).

But I do think getting in with Discover on a secured card makes sense for a lot of people still building credit. Even if it doesn't graduate in a timely manner, it's a card with a very usable rewards structure. Say someone got a secured Discover with the same minimum deposit required for an NFCU secured card ($500 from what I can tell), they could get some pretty fantastic rewards from that regardless of how long it takes to graduate.  If we're comparing just secured cards alone, then the Discover seems better than the NFCU secured to me. Obviously, what happens beyond that with ease of graduation is a different matter (but again, the Discover secured is so good that it's still a good card even if graduation is delayed). 

Anyway, I was just throwing that out there as an option that might make sense. Heck, it's not like getting both is necessarily a bad option. Both seem like banks that people generally like dealing with (Discover can obviously be a little perplexing, but people generally seem to like dealing with them). 

Message 35 of 41
BirchBarlow
Contributor

+1 for the Discover. Their rewards program surpasses even Chase Freedom.  For example, I recently made a purchase on the Macy's website for which I'll earn not only the 5% quarterly rotating bonus (department stores) but also an additional 10% through the Discover bonus mall.  You can't beat 15% (technically 30% since it's my first year).

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since you have already apped NFCU and the other CU I would go ahead and follow through with that and see what you get. Other than that I would just sit back and wait. You will be getting your steps increase probably next month which will help your scores, as will more time of on time payments. Just keep doing what you are doing, good credit takes time.

LOL! I was just thinking the same thing. But this forum has already been invaluable so I am really appreciative of everyone that replies!

That's kind of what I was thinking this morning. Try anyway since all my HPs are within a couple months of each other. Secured route if denied. And the wait is what kills. Ik a lot of ppl have trouble with it. I'm just so over bad credit. 

Thanks again everyone who's given input!

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welp, add me to the NFCU success stories. I couldn't help it and when they accepted my app, I called. Got approved for a $1400 Cash Rewards. CLOC pending approval. Something about them being backed up. Super excited! Thanks again for the input everyone!!!! 

NFCU already has won me over with their customer service, BTW. It's second to none that I;ve experienced so far. 

If CLOC gets approved, will be in the garden for a LONG time. 

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I would recommend emailing in your application for NFCU, it will take a few days to process. Then apply for the CashRewards card, it has a promo this month.

What is the promo you speak of? lol

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Papas suggested some nice cards. Calebonline, I'd say look at your spending patterns and decide for yourself what kind of rewards match them.

Some cards I like:

Citi DC is a nice card - 2% CB

BOA 321 rewards - nice for gas station spend

One of the no AF Amex cards - they come with Primary car rental insurance

BOA BBR

All these suggestions are assuming you PIF or there is no point in CC rewards if you are paying 18-24% apr interest.

If you carry a balance, go with the Barclays Ring or one of the credit union cards - they usually have sub 9% apr

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.