Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a user to AMEX card

tag
HillCountrySpaz
Established Member

Adding a user to AMEX card

Hello. I'm wanting to add my daughter to my AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card. I've never added a user and have a few questions. The add user process requires me to submit my daughter's social. Will this be a hard pull on her credit? Also, will the cards share the same credit limit?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Re: Adding a user to AMEX card

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

Hello. I'm wanting to add my daughter to my AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card. I've never added a user and have a few questions. The add user process requires me to submit my daughter's social. Will this be a hard pull on her credit? Also, will the cards share the same credit limit?  Thank you.

No there will not be a HP on her credit files. Yes, she will share your limit and not have an additional one. You can also place a limit on her card as to how much of your limit she can use. 

Message 2 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

No there will not be a HP on her credit files. Yes, she will share your limit and not have an additional one. You can also place a limit on her card as to how much of your limit she can use. 

Pretty much all this. Also note that she will NOT inherit all of the card's history - it will basically show as a new account for her. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind Amex holds AUs responsible for their charges as if the entire account were theirs.

Message 4 of 10
HillCountrySpaz
Established Member

So, my daughter's credit repot will reflect the cards balance each month and reflect on her usage? 

Message 5 of 10
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

Pretty much all this. Also note that she will NOT inherit all of the card's history - it will basically show as a new account for her. 

Super important for many to know. Amex DOES NOT backdate as other card issuers do. If looking to age a report Amex is not the way to go.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 6 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

So, my daughter's credit report will reflect the cards balance each month and reflect on her usage? 

Don't have an Amex, however most cards report total usage (Your card and all AU cards spend with full CL for calculations.

The web interface lets you set a lesser spend limit. A convenience and safety feature, not part of the reporting.

Message 7 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

So, my daughter's credit repot will reflect the cards balance each month and reflect on her usage? 

Yes. Whatever the primary cardholder's balances show on reports will also show on the AU's reports.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 10
WasteMgmt
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@HillCountrySpaz wrote:

Yes. Whatever the primary cardholder's balances show on reports will also show on the AU's reports.

This is big. I did not know this when my dad added me as an AU years ago. Luckily I always PIF at the end of the month so my utilization stays below 10%.

CapitalOne Venture X, CapitalOne Quicksilver, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom OG, Chase Freedom OG, Amex BCE, Wells Fargo Autograph
Last application 5/2023
Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Keep in mind Amex holds AUs responsible for their charges as if the entire account were theirs.

But in what sense?   They cannot force the AU to pay the debt if the basic member defaults.   (They can try, but...)

Additional Card Members do not have accounts with us but can use your Account subject to the terms of the Card Member Agreement, must be at least 13 years of age and never had a default account with American Express. You are responsible for the activity and use of your Account by Additional Card Members. You must pay for all charges they make.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.