cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

tag
Trikoret
Contributor

Re: All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

This is not the first post I see this. No idea why Amazon can't force using the 3 digit code on cards in order to be added. This is really frustrating. 

Message 11 of 31
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:

This is not the first post I see this. No idea why Amazon can't force using the 3 digit code on cards in order to be added. This is really frustrating. 

From what I understand, CVV verification cost more money and Amazon's belief is that the cost of CVV verification (which applies to every single transaction) is more than the cost of fraud on the platform.

Message 12 of 31
ccquest
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

@Loquat wrote:
Amazon seems to have the most lax'd security. I was shocked that you can add cards without needing the CVV number.

Is this a new thing? I feel like it used to be a requirement, but recently I haven't seen it. Although they do ask for the card number again for the first purchase at least which doesn't really add any more protection.

So that makes me wonder if CVV is a little like the TSA, feels it adds security without really doing so!    What happens if I go to a merchant site and enter the wrong CVV a few times.   Does the card get blocked by the issuer (I haven't heard of this)?   If not, it's pretty easy to see how someone could spread attempts over several sites and find a working CVV.

With how cards were made before, CVV and card number were on two separate sides so you'd have to look at both. But now, if you physically see the card it's easy to grab both. Maybe that's something to do with it?

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never really thought of this before, only ever been concerened with unauthorized charges. I only have a few cards at Amazom but thispost as definitely made me rethink which ones I link as I'd hate to lose all my points. Although  don' have my UR account linked my MR is. However, Amex does it differently by charing he card for teh whole amount then doing a Statement credit for the points amount, right? So I don't think that's as risky? Now I'm seriously considering deleting them. lol

@gdale6 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:
Sorry this happened. I'm sure Chase will be able to get to the bottom of this. Because of post like this is why I don't link my reward accounts to Amazon.

Amazon seems to have the most lax'd security. I was shocked that you can add cards without needing the CVV number.

Yup, Amazon has very lax security as soon as I stopped keeping cards on file with them in 2015 the theft of my cards stopped.... I even canceled my account with them in 2016 but have since opened another for very few things..

Stop, you're scaring me! lol

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccquest wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Is this a new thing? I feel like it used to be a requirement, but recently I haven't seen it. Although they do ask for the card number again for the first purchase at least which doesn't really add any more protection.

Hasn't been a requirement for years. They pay extra processing fees to avoid having to hassle their customers to update their CVVs. 

Message 15 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hasn't been a requirement for years. They pay extra processing fees to avoid having to hassle their customers to update their CVVs. 

Well, they have to hassle you to update the expiration date, which changes at the same time as CVV so I doubt that!

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@Trikoret wrote:

From what I understand, CVV verification cost more money and Amazon's belief is that the cost of CVV verification (which applies to every single transaction) is more than the cost of fraud on the platform.

No it's actually more costly to opt out of CVV verification when negotiating contracts with the credit card companies rather than going through a processor. AVS+CVV can lead to a substantial savings on processing rates but Amazon likely does this for customer convenience. I have noticed that they also automatically update my card expiration dates like recurring subscriptions can. 

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, they have to hassle you to update the expiration date, which changes at the same time as CVV so I doubt that!

They have automatically updated the expiration date on my Capital One card twice now, much like Spotify did with my whole card number, expiration, and CVV much to my annoyance when I canceled the card because they kept billing it (it's another "feature" that credit card companies offer to recurring billing services). 

Message 18 of 31
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

I was thinking that it must be something like this. The reason Amazon would do what they do is because it is financially adventageous.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 19 of 31
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Not that it would help with rewards being hijacked, but I’ve also turned on 2factor with Amazon just so I get the allusion that I’m a bit more protected.
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.