Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

Hi everyone... I have a question about an email I received recently.

My $10k Delta Gold was opened in May 2022... 5+  years after filing BK 13 that didn't include AmEx.  I've ran EVERYTHING through that card for $2-3k per month... and PIF each month.

I went on vacation in early December... ran up about $5k in charges over 2 weeks.  I then put another $800 on it by the end of the month...  my statement cut with a $5800 balance out of a $10k limit.  

A couple days later a $100 charge triggered a "we recently approved a transaction but based on your recent spending you may reach your credit limit soon."

Odd... because I still had 40% of my CL left.  I'm just wondering what this means?  Are they nervous because I doubled/tripled my previous high spend?

I did pay the bill in full a couple days after I got the email which was my plan all along.  This month I'm back to my normal $2k-$3k in spending.

Should I be worried at all?  They still won't give me a CLI due to the 6 year old BK 13 on my reports... but I have been a solid usage/PIF customer since receiving the card.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

@TRC_WA wrote:

My $10k Delta Gold was opened in May 2022... 5+  years after filing BK 13 that didn't include AmEx.  I've ran EVERYTHING through that card for $2-3k per month... and PIF each month.

I went on vacation in early December... ran up about $5k in charges over 2 weeks.  I then put another $800 on it by the end of the month...  my statement cut with a $5800 balance out of a $10k limit.  

A couple days later a $100 charge triggered a "we recently approved a transaction but based on your recent spending you may reach your credit limit soon."

Odd... because I still had 40% of my CL left.  I'm just wondering what this means?  Are they nervous because I doubled/tripled my previous high spend?

I did pay the bill in full a couple days after I got the email which was my plan all along.  This month I'm back to my normal $2k-$3k in spending.

Should I be worried at all?  They still won't give me a CLI due to the 6 year old BK 13 on my reports... but I have been a solid usage/PIF customer since receiving the card.

They probably are nervous, yes. It's likely exacerbated by the BK still showing, even if they themselves weren't burned in it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 25
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Ive got the same thing on my BCP. Appears when I use it alot and it passes $600 out of $1000. I get the same warning. I make a $100 payment and keep going. Had to get the sub one way or another with $1000 CL. Seems to have faded since opening.

Message 3 of 25
7774x
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Amex must have flagged your account for some reason..I'll give my  experience from some years ago maybe different in some ways now..I reguarly spent 10,000+ a month on the  plat card  ....then got the same message as you did from amex.. called customer service said not worry, account is current,,then went to buy a pricey Tv ...had to talk to customer service before Amex would approve charge  .Wouldn't you know it  10 days later get message from Amex to send a copy tax return, or card will be suspended..Good Luck

Message 4 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

They probably are nervous, yes. It's likely exacerbated by the BK still showing, even if they themselves weren't burned in it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.  I applied for a CLI in August and again today and was denied both times with a "Bankruptcy on your credit report" as the only reason.  

It is what it is.  My reports will be flawless with no baddies in a year so I'm just waiting it out.  I'm sure I'll get some AmEx love down the road.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Ive got the same thing on my BCP. Appears when I use it alot and it passes $600 out of $1000. I get the same warning. I make a $100 payment and keep going. Had to get the sub one way or another with $1000 CL. Seems to have faded since opening.

Thanks for the info.  Good to know that there's a 60% barrier that triggered it for us both.  I'll keep that in mind.  I realistically don't expect to hit that number unless I'm spending too much money on vacation... and my next big one isn't until October.  Smiley LOL

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 5 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@7774x wrote:

Amex must have flagged your account for some reason..I'll give my  experience from some years ago maybe different in some ways now..I reguarly spent 10,000+ a month on the  plat card  ....then got the same message as you did from amex.. called customer service said not worry, account is current,,then went to buy a pricey Tv ...had to talk to customer service before Amex would approve charge  .Wouldn't you know it  10 days later get message from Amex to send a copy tax return, or card will be suspended..Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't gotten anything else from them about it and as said my spending is back to my normal $2-$3k per month range.  Will post back if something changes... I think they are just jittery because I still have a 6 year old BK 13 showing.

Message 6 of 25
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

One other possibility… AmEx has a setting to send alerts upon large transactions, card not presnt, and within $X of one's credit limit among others. Perhaps that email was generated simply as a result of your alert threshhold settings?

Message 7 of 25
StephenH
Regular Contributor

In my opinion, nothing to worry about. I used to get this on my BCP. My profile was clean at the time and always PIF w/ 10-15k charged to the card month-over-month. 

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 DC 03/2021
IIB: Chase CSR 10K, Amex BCP 20K, Disco It 9K, Citi DC 3K

Cap One Plat. 04/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 3.3K ---> PC Venture One ---> PC QS ---> PC Savor One
Cap One QS1 08/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 5.5K ---> PC QS (no AF) ---> PC Venture ---> PC QS
Penfed PCR 12/2022 12.5K SL

Installment Loan 08/2021 ( PIF)
Student Loan 09/2014 10K remaining

As of 04/2024:
FICO 8: 707 EX, 701 EQ, 703 TU
Message 8 of 25
sophiebelle
Established Member

I had this happen once before with my Platinum card. I immediately made a payment but was kind of baffled by it. Then about 2-3 weeks later, I get a letter from AMEX telling me that they sent that email in error. 

Message 9 of 25
Chazzay12
Frequent Contributor

Similar to what @FireMedic1 said, I have a 1k limit and get that email every time my balance is up to roughly 50-60%. I've had my card since September 2022. 

I think from what I've read over time they stop sending those once they know you're spending. My guess is you've never hit that Utl threshold due to having a good limit, therefore haven't seen the message. 

I will say I've always been able to continue to use it all the way up to limit, never payed too much mind to that message since I'm paying on time and in full. I just prefer to just make one to two payments in full per month on cards around pay day & statement closing. 

Discover It (Student) $1500 | Capital One QS $2300 | Amex BCE $4800 | Chase FU $3200 | Amex Green NPSL | CSP $4200 | Discover it $3000
Car loan w/ Langley 3.5%
Homeowner since April 2023

Starting Score: 580s
Current Score as of May 2024: EX 668, TU 671, EQ 646
Goal Score: 700+, working on paying high utl cc debt

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.