Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx removing rewards summaries from their statements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx removing rewards summaries from their statements

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The best tool for tracking AMEX rewards is buried.

1. Hit the Statements and Activity link in your account's navigation bar.
  2. In the Recent Activity dropdown, choose any of your previous statements.
  3. Scroll to Rewards Dollars box at the bottom of the page.
  4. Hit the Bonus Details link that's in the bottom right-hand corner of that box.

If this information were in a readily accessible location, I'd bet that people would be a lot less likely to miss the information that's being removed from statements.

I think it's their tactic to nickel and dime people out of rewards. They probably figure if they delay the rewards an addiitional statement and not put the previously earned rewards on the new statement, the cardholder would have to pull extra legwork to figure out what they really earned. 

Message 11 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Of all the major lenders, Amex is the best at delaying the redemption of awards, and that delay saves money for Amex.  I'm sure somebody in their organization is getting a hefty annual bonus for doing that.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's delayed, and that's a pain. But better late than never. Citi doesn't give you any information at all. When I use a category card, I want to know how much reward money or how many points points were earned by each transaction. If I buy gas, groceries, or whatever and only get a 1% reward on that purchase, I know the card and the merchant are a bad fit.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

It's delayed, and that's a pain. But better late than never. Citi doesn't give you any information at all. When I use a category card, I want to know how much reward money or how many points points were earned by each transaction. If I buy gas, groceries, or whatever and only get a 1% reward on that purchase, I know the card and the merchant are a bad fit.

I'm not really sure where you're coming from here. Citi has always broken down the points earned in each category for me (and I've had their TY Premier, TY Preferred, AAdvantage, and Double Cash cards). If you look online, it will tell you what category each purchase falls under. 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that every card does have a tracker of some kind, you just have to dig for it. lol

Amex is okay so far with points, I mean it's not like I vacation every month and am waitng on a few points to post so that I can go. 

Message 15 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I'm not really sure where you're coming from here. Citi has always broken down the points earned in each category for me (and I've had their TY Premier, TY Preferred, AAdvantage, and Double Cash cards). If you look online, it will tell you what category each purchase falls under. 

Yes, but you cant see the points earned for each individual transaction like you can with Amex.

So if you spend $500 in what you think is dining but only get $475 counted as dining it can be a guessing game to which place didnt give you the extra points on dining.

With Amex and chase you can see exactly how many points earned by just that transaction

When I go overseas for work and am buying gas or food at places. It is slightly annoying I cant see if a place counted as the correct MCC so I know for future reference

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 16 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
With Amex and chase you can see exactly how many points earned by just that transaction

Same with Capital One and Barclays.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.