Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Visa vs. Store Card

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Amazon Visa vs. Store Card

Getting ready to go on a bit of an app spree. My motivations are strictly to increase my overall credit line/availability. I use Amazon a lot in both business and personally, so I thought I would start with them. I already have an 8 month old $5,000 commercial CL with Amazon as well, so I that's another reason. And its GEMB. Any suggestions as to whether I should go for the Rewards Visa or the Store Card? Which would most likely provide the highest CL? Pros and cons? 

Greatly appreciated.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
H4LO
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon Visa vs. Store Card

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Getting ready to go on a bit of an app spree. My motivations are strictly to increase my overall credit line/availability. I use Amazon a lot in both business and personally, so I thought I would start with them. I already have an 8 month old $5,000 commercial CL with Amazon as well, so I that's another reason. And its GEMB. Any suggestions as to whether I should go for the Rewards Visa or the Store Card? Which would most likely provide the highest CL? Pros and cons? 

Greatly appreciated.

Personally, after looking at both myself. I'd go with the Rewards Visa. I use Amazon a lot as well, and I think the 3x points would benefit me quite a bit. Not to mention, it's backed by Chase. You'd be able to recon it if you needed to, to get a higher limit. Unfrotunately, I'm not sure Chase would allow me another one of their cards right now. So I'm keeping myself from apping for it. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 2 of 15
dap1984va
New Contributor

honestly, i applied for the amazon store card, the visa being backed by chase was a disqualifier for me. I have two chase credit cards and out of "numberous" credit cards they remain my lowest "BY FAR"  I have had a chase card with a $700 limit going on 2 years, not even going to talk about the other chase card. If it was ANY bank besides for chase I would of applied. I have the store card with a 4K starting credit limit. thats more than 2(two) of my chase cards combined so... the decesion is YOURS 

anything backed by chase or has anything to do with chase.........I want no part of it nor would i personally suggest it.

Message 3 of 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Greatly appreciated.

the store card is backed by GE so it's probably safe to say that getting a higher CL from them is more probable than getting it from chase (visa)...obviously if your purpose is to exclusively use the card for amazon purchases, the GE backed would be a better bet...but if you want something that's more versatile then obviously the visa tagged would fit that bill...just depends on what you're looking for Smiley Happy hope this helps...

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 15
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Hey thanks people! Yeah, if Chase is behind the Rewards card then that's probably not an option. Although I have perfect credit and low utilization the past 6 years, I do have a BK from 2007. Chase would probably not like that would they? I am really just trying to thicken up my file. I did the Dave Ramsey thing after my BK for several years. So although I now have 6 active accounts currently reporting, they are all only 1 to 2 years old. My overall credit goes back well over 15 years, but the average age is only like 7 years because of how so many thinngs were wiped off my file during the BK.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Hey thanks people! Yeah, if Chase is behind the Rewards card then that's probably not an option. Although I have perfect credit and low utilization the past 6 years, I do have a BK from 2007. Chase would probably not like that would they? I am really just trying to thicken up my file. I did the Dave Ramsey thing after my BK for several years. So although I now have 6 active accounts currently reporting, they are all only 1 to 2 years old. My overall credit goes back well over 15 years, but the average age is only like 7 years because of how so many thinngs were wiped off my file during the BK.

it would be a safer bet to app for the store card bc of you BK...the store card would still be very useful for the purpose you need it to be IMHO Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If Chase is a problem (and even if it not) there are at least two cards that offer good rewards on Amazon.

1) Sallie Mae:  5% off on the first $750 per month

2) US Bank: Can choose 5% of the first $2,000 per quarter (combined with other 5% choice)

Unless you spend about $13K per year on Amazon, these cards offer better rewards than Chase, if most of your spending falls into the monthly or quarter caps.  And even heavy spenders should get one of these for the first bit of spend!

Citi Forward is 5% uncapped for existing card holders, but no longer available in that form.

Message 7 of 15
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

If Chase is a problem (and even if it not) there are at least two cards that offer good rewards on Amazon.

2) US Bank: Can choose 5% of the first $2,000 per quarter (combined with other 5% choice)

Unless you spend about $13K per year on Amazon, these cards offer better rewards than Chase, if most of your spending falls into the monthly or quarter caps.  And even heavy spenders should get one of these for the first bit of spend!

Citi Forward is 5% uncapped for existing card holders, but no longer available in that form.

Plus, you can purchase Amazon gift cards from drugstores, grocery stores, and office supply stores.  If you have high earning cards for those retailers, you'll be in good shape.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 8 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree 100% with this.

In fact, get both #1 and #2.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 15
jwduke
Regular Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

Greatly appreciated.

the store card is backed by GE so it's probably safe to say that getting a higher CL from them is more probable than getting it from chase (visa)...obviously if your purpose is to exclusively use the card for amazon purchases, the GE backed would be a better bet...but if you want something that's more versatile then obviously the visa tagged would fit that bill...just depends on what you're looking for Smiley Happy hope this helps...

I dunno... I applied for the Chase/Amazon store card. I received a decent interest rate, plus a $9,000 CL. (Nine TIMES my GEMB limit).A 9% LOWER interest rate was what I liked...

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.