Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Visa vs. Store Card

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Re: Amazon Visa vs. Store Card

I had previously thought about Sallie Mae. Aren't they Barclay's? If so, the only problem there is I just got a Barclaycard MC in July (only $1,300 CL), so I only have 4 statements. Might be a little too early to try for a second card with them. Given my FICO's, anyone have a wild guess as to what CL you think they would give me? Currently 8% utilization and good stable income.

Also, as I mentioned previously, Chase isn't BK friendly are they? I am 6-1/2 yrs. from discharge, so it might be a little early to app with them as well.

Lastly, I am pretty familiar with US Bank. I've actually had both my personal and business accounts there for over 10 years now. However, they are VERY conservative and run from BK customers as far as I know. So I don't believe they are an option in 2013. Maybe next summer if all goes well.

Anyways, seems like the Amazon Store card is my best shot at the higher CL. Currently my highest is a humble $3,000 at CapOne. I guess I could try for a second card there if I had to as well. Regardless, I am hoping for a $5,000 CL somewhere if possible.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

I had previously thought about Sallie Mae. Aren't they Barclay's? YES If so, the only problem there is I just got a Barclaycard MC in July (only $1,300 CL), so I only have 4 statements. Might be a little too early to try for a second card with them. Given my FICO's, anyone have a wild guess as to what CL you think they would give me? Currently 8% utilization and good stable income. Other's have had luck in obtaining a second barclays card in such a short period of time, however, they might not be willing to give you another after a year with your first one (i'm sure others will chime in that had that success of getting a second card from them--just MHO).

Also, as I mentioned previously, Chase isn't BK friendly are they? I am 6-1/2 yrs. from discharge, so it might be a little early to app with them as well.

Lastly, I am pretty familiar with US Bank. I've actually had both my personal and business accounts there for over 10 years now. However, they are VERY conservative and run from BK customers as far as I know. So I don't believe they are an option in 2013. Maybe next summer if all goes well.

Anyways, seems like the Amazon Store card is my best shot at the higher CL. Currently my highest is a humble $3,000 at CapOne. I guess I could try for a second card there if I had to as well. Regardless, I am hoping for a $5,000 CL somewhere if possible. I'll stick still with my original opinion in that it's still your best bet given it's with GE and after the 4th statement you can request an increase if you're not happy with the initial limit (as well as requesting a bump right after approval).

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 12 of 15
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Thanks DJC. I think your logic makes the most sense so I think I am going for the Am Store Card. Actually, I am going for 2 new cards, probably one right after the other the same day. The other card is Paypal Extras. The logic is that while I do a ton of business with Amazon, I also work with Paypal as well through my business. A lot of my customers pay their invoices through Paypal. I've also had a Paypal debit card for over a year as well so that will probably help a little. 

Anyways, I might go for the Paypal MC first, and then follow up immediately for the Am Store card. My logic is that regardless of which I apply for first, I am going to take a small hit on my score from the inquiry (maybe 5 pts). I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine the initial hit will affect me more with Paypal than with the Amazon card. When I say "hit" I mean with regard to the CL they will actually offer me. I am not sure 5 points from the inquiry will make much of a difference or not. However, with my TU score currently sitting right at 702... the hit might make a difference if it drops me below 700.

What say you... if you don't mind me asking?

Message 13 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

I had previously thought about Sallie Mae. Aren't they Barclay's? If so, the only problem there is I just got a Barclaycard MC in July (only $1,300 CL), so I only have 4 statements. Might be a little too early to try for a second card with them. Given my FICO's, anyone have a wild guess as to what CL you think they would give me? Currently 8% utilization and good stable income.

Anyways, seems like the Amazon Store card is my best shot at the higher CL. Currently my highest is a humble $3,000 at CapOne. I guess I could try for a second card there if I had to as well. Regardless, I am hoping for a $5,000 CL somewhere if possible.

I got a $1500 credit limit on Priceline.com, 4.5 months later Barclays gave me $1600 on a Sallie Mae. And 1.5 months after that an auto CLI to make the Priceline a $2800 limit.

My advice, for what it is worth: why settle for low cash back rewards? The credit limits will eventually increase. If you settle for 1% or 1.5% cards, then eventually thats what your set of cards will consist of.

PS: my Discover IT card has gone from $2000 to $3000 to $5000 limit since I obtained it at the end of January. It took a HP each time, but now I have a card that frequently has useful 5% categories, and now has a nice credit limit to go with that.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 15
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

TheManWhoCan: What was your credit score at the time of your Priceline or 2nd Barclay's card approval? I would guess your scores are higher than mine based on the inventory of cards I see you have. You have both AmEx and US Bank cards, both of which are tough to get and beyond my capabilities with my 2007 BK. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.