Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold- upgrade???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Delta Gold- upgrade???

I just recently received the Delta Gold Amex back in May, my SL was $10k.  I went for the CLI last month which I asked for $28k and was approved.  My question is, how long do I need to wait to upgrade the Delta Gold to either the Delta Plat or the Delta Reserve?  Which one would you recommend upgrading to???

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Delta Gold- upgrade???

If you upgrade you will miss out on the bonus points.... 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to the CARD Act, you cannot upgrade your Delta Gold Card until your account reaches 13 months of tenure. At that point, Card Services will be able to upgrade you (or you may be solicited for an upgrade).

As far as whether Platinum or Reserve is better, it really depends on your needs and use of the card. Do you like to wait in the Sky Clubs? Do you travel enough through said clubs to justify the annual fee instead of the discounted $29 day pass? How much do you spend annually on the card - will you reach the threshold for the Miles Boost benefit? Do you pay in full? If you're willing to pay the $450 annual fee, maybe the Platinum Charge Card might be better since you get SkyClub access and many more benefits as well. Just some things to consider before choosing Delta Platinum or Reserve.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

YGood point GDanzy.  

Thanks Pooka...I wasn't sure if it was 13 months so that answers my question on upgrade.  When I do it will be the Delta Plat as the annual is $195 and offers just enough of what I need.  But I'm still on the fence regarding the Amex Plat.  I may change my mind by next July...

Message 4 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

If you're a PIF guy, do the Plat Charge. Best perks

The only thing I like about the Delta is the companion cert. When I had my regular gold, they still gave $95 compainon certs, but that's long gone.

Delta plat will give you a yearly comp cert based on coach.

Reserve will give you a comp cert based on 1st class, if that's what primary's booking.

Signups.....well, you can see all that on the Amex comparison, but I agree don't upgrade. Just apply, then reallocate the old card limit, so you get the signup bonus.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses.

Burned2manybridgesB4 - thank you for the information and suggestions.  I keep forgetting about reallocating limits - which seems to be the better option.  This is new to me, even though I've had cards for quite some time. 

Message 6 of 8
Berk
Established Contributor

I have both. Like Delta benefits on the Delta Plat and all the travel benefits on the Amex Plat. I know, it's a lot in annual fees but with the amount of travel I do for work and fun its worth it to me.

Message 7 of 8
Xistaben2
New Contributor

IMO the Delta branded cards are really only good for churning out that medallion status if you happen to fly Delta all the time.  I live in Atlanta so those cards are very popular here (incuding kiosks in the airport dedicated to pulling people off the terminal to have them apply lol).

My boss has a Delta Platinum and he pays everything with it and ends up being at least Gold Medallion every single year because his spend affords a lot of extra MQM's from the card.  I keep trying to sell him on the Reserve to get more, but he seems pretty content with what he has.

If you have the spend to get both MQM bonuses for 60k spend a year, obviously the cost of the Reserve is negligible at that point (you also get the companion credit, which helps offset the AF).

Each card has a tier of bonus miles based on spend, just have to pick which one you fall under and use that card, otherwise it will probably not justify the AF.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.