Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold 4x for Restaurants

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Amex Gold 4x for Restaurants

I'm starting to transition to points based rewards from cash back.  I currently use my uber visa for dining and bars.  I know that Amex Gold gives you 4x for restaurants but does that also include bars?

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold 4x for Restaurants

From my experience, no. The bars I have went to didn’t code it as dining so when I go to bars I just use my Savor.
Message 2 of 7
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From my experience, no. The bars I have went to didn’t code it as dining so when I go to bars I just use my Savor.

Thx. That's kinda what I suspected.  I can just use my Uber visa for bars. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll add a second data-point and say that I have not got 4x on any of the bars I've been to as well. I tend to just whip out the Uber Visa if I'm out for a night on the town. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It's going to depend on how that particular bar's merchant account is set up.  If they're set up as 5812 or 5814 which are restaurants, yes.  If they're set up as 5813 which is a drinking place, no.  It's not as simple as "no bars will get the credit, but all restaurants will."  Thousands and thousands of places considered "bars" will actually have merchant classifications as restaurants.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I'm starting to transition to points based rewards from cash back.  I currently use my uber visa for dining and bars.  I know that Amex Gold gives you 4x for restaurants but does that also include bars?

I'd like to share my experience regarding the bonus category 4x points with Dinining/Bars. Like mentioned in that forum, it will greatly depend on how the merchant codes for the purchase. However, if you notice that you haven't got any bonus points for that particular bar purchase, you can always try and call AMEX and ask for a claim on the purchase. You can tell them that you had some food/appetizers served with your drinks (since virtually any bars in US have a small appetizer menu and they'll supposedly investigate the purchase but escalating the issue to corporate (what I was told by CR on the phone). I'd assume they either call the place/bar in question to verify or change the code in their system. The reason I know this is because I myself was able to receive 4X points adjustement for purchases in a lounge/hookah bar in san diego after calling them. Just FYI.

Adj.jpg

<Mod edit:  Feel free to restore your second image once you've redacted your name.  --UB>

Message 6 of 7
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I'd like to share my experience regarding the bonus category 4x points with Dinining/Bars. Like mentioned in that forum, it will greatly depend on how the merchant codes for the purchase. However, if you notice that you haven't got any bonus points for that particular bar purchase, you can always try and call AMEX and ask for a claim on the purchase. You can tell them that you had some food/appetizers served with your drinks (since virtually any bars in US have a small appetizer menu and they'll supposedly investigate the purchase but escalating the issue to corporate (what I was told by CR on the phone). I'd assume they either call the place/bar in question to verify or change the code in their system. The reason I know this is because I myself was able to receive 4X points adjustement for purchases in a lounge/hookah bar in san diego after calling them. Just FYI.

Adj.jpg

Very useful information!!  I'll definitely keep this mind. Thx

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.