Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Amex Green vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Hey all,

This might have been addressed when the Amex Green revamped, but I couldn't find it in the search. For people in both the UR and MR worlds, I still see the CSR being preferred over the Amex Green and I was wondering why that was. I tend to think when you're involved in both currencies, the valuations are very similar which means in terms of earning rates they provide the same value in the same categories. The CSR does have travel-specific perks like Global Entry, PP, etc but that can be had with the Platinum as well which a fair number of MR-earners in the community keep. The only unique perks of the CSR I can think of is primary rental car insurance, and being a Visa. I guess it's up to you if the extra $100 in effective AF is worth those perks, but I see more people with the CSR and fewer with the Green and was just wonderiing why that was the case.

Curious to hear you thoughts!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Green vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve?

One of the reasons I've seen cited on this board against having AMEX in general is the cash back redemption rate which is 0.6 for the points.

The AMEX Green doesn't have priority pass. Loungebuddy is alright if you want to try out a lounge once or twice but not for frequent users.

However there are some advantages with the AMEX Green. NPSL I think is an advantage if you want to stick a vacation on credit without impacting your credit score. AMEX tends to have some rather fat offers in comparison to Chase/BoA.

I maintain a AMEX Green and a CSP. The CSP I am using primarily for Doordash which is a 9.99 a month credit to cover the AF of $95 dollars. AMEX Green I have set up for transit reloads and at the top of the wallet for parking. For vacations I have a Hyatt card but don't always book a Hyatt if it is not convenient to where I want to go so otherwise I can stick it on AMEX Green. Then when we're going out to dinner I will scan through the AMEX offers to see if I have any discounts as sometimes they have a $25 of $75 coupon.

The difference in AF between the CSP and CSR after the travel credit is $155. I thought it was smarter to go with the AMEX Green and its $150 AF for the bonus points rather than pay an addiitonal $155 and get no bonus points. I just don't like the idea of being invoiced $550 for a card even if I will get invoiced back later.

While I don't see myself spending 15,000 on the AMEX Green in a calendar year to justify 3x travel over 2x on the CSP to justify the additional AF when you throw in the offers at $10 to $25 its not difficult to close the $150 AF gap. The CSR offers are junk to the point where I might be lucky to get $5 back in a calendar year. Good offers at premium hotels but I already have a Hyatt card if I want to go that route. If I want to go cheap on a hotel I can go through an OTA to score a nice deal and put it on my AMEX Green.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 2 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I understand the annoyance with the lack of 1 cent per point cash out with Amex but at the same time if you're after cash back there are free cards with 3% dining and/or travel. 

Message 3 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I understand the annoyance with the lack of 1 cent per point cash out with Amex but at the same time if you're after cash back there are free cards with 3% dining and/or travel. 

Indeed, if cash back is what you want, then neither Amex charge nor Chase Sapphire are worth the fees.

Message 4 of 25
sxa001
Valued Contributor

While I was interested in the CSR at one time (tried for it in 2017, was denied because of 5/24, it was how I learned about 5/24) I think now that the AMEX green has been revamped I would consider the AMEX over the CSR.

I think the CSR is popular as pointed out because of the lounge access, also for those that don't already have a card to give them Global Entry/TSA Pre (though that benefit is only good every five years and for the primary card holder).  I suspect at a lot of it also depends on which ecosystem people are in and which travel portel they prefer.  

With that said, I am not currently interested in either. Getting the Costco Card really made me like cashback and with 3% on travel and dining and the AF being the membership I would have anyways at Costco it works out for me. 

Design does get me a little bit, I love the classic look of the AMEX Green.  The CSR even though it is a heavy card (is it still made of metal?) just doesn't have the same curb appeal, IMHO. 

I would be more curious why some people have both versus why someone has one or the other.  I guess some people just have way more spend per year than I do Smiley Wink 

Message 5 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sxa001 wrote:

I would be more curious why some people have both versus why someone has one or the other.  I guess some people just have way more spend per year than I do Smiley Wink 

And there are people who would look at your sig (except they can't because they aren't on forums like this!) and say "????  Why have all those cards!"

But yes, because the cards are sufficiently different (program partners, earn and perks) with enough spend, both systems can make sense.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my wildest dreams I would have never thought someone would be comparing these two specific cards, as they don't seem to even remotely be in the same ballpark.

Message 7 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my wildest dreams I would have never thought someone would be comparing these two specific cards, as they don't seem to even remotely be in the same ballpark.

I would hope that your wildest dreams would be a little more dramatic!

Message 8 of 25
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

When looking at cards, at least for me, it comes down to ecosystems as well as point offerings. I don't have the Amex Green because I have other flavors of Amex that are better or get really close to the Green without having to add another AF.

But as mentioned, it can make sense depending on the person and their habits for one to have both cards. If I had to choose only one I would certainly take MR over UR but that doesn't mean that I don't still find value in UR.

Do I wish that Chase would do something to make the CSR more attractive...absolutely. The card has lost its luster in my opinion. The only reason I had on to Chase is because of Hyatt. For those occasions where I can find a decent Marriott, Hyatt comes in handle. If ever they were to move away from Hyatt or is Hyatt places some devaluation game then that's even more of a reason to move away from the CSR (which I'm probably going to do anyway).

I can do better with the Citi Premier over the CSR and even the Green for that matter...and it's all bundled together for $95 bucks.
Message 9 of 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have often compared them in my own analyses.  Both cards earn 3x points for dining and travel, and both cards allow the points to be transferred to airline frequent flyer programs.  Sounds like the same ballpark to me.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.