Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex -- Hard or Soft Pulls?

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Amex -- Hard or Soft Pulls?

Hey Folks,

I have an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card that's new to me.  So, because I'm the kind of dork that makes spreadsheets for my credit and credit cards, I contacted them to ask their policies on CLI's and wether they do a hard or soft pull.  Those wankers apparently have a policy of nunyabidness.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and though he was really great to deal with, he not only doesn't know but has been specifically directed not to use the terms "hard or soft pull" with customers.  So basically he's not allowed to tell.  It's a big internal secret.  

For those of you who have this card, when you requested a CLI, did you pick up an inquiry of the hard variety?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex -- Hard or Soft Pulls?

Open a new card = HP

CLI = SP

61 days until 1st attempt

90 day wait if declined for CLI

181 days after first/subsequent CLI's approved

App for another AMEX and declined = SP

Message 2 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Austinguy.  So let me get this straight, becuase I'm not totally following you here -- you waited 61 days after opening the card to request a CLI? And then 181 days to apply for another card which was declined using a soft pull??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 3 of 23
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@WhiteCleats wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Austinguy.  So let me get this straight, becuase I'm not totally following you here -- you waited 61 days after opening the card to request a CLI? yes

And then 181 days to apply for another card  CLI which was declined using a soft pull??

You get your card and want a CLI.... You wait 61 days and then hit the button and it's a SP.

Approved = wait another 181 days for next CLI attempt

Denied = wait 90 days for next CLI attempt

If you apply for another card and it's denied it's a SP

If you apply and it's approved then it's a HP

If you add another revolver your first CLI on the 2nd card depends on when your last CLI was on the 1st card since you can only request a CLI on 1 card every 6 months once you get your first CLI at 61 days.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-helpful-links/m-p/4802617 - check the 3X guide for more info if I'm still confusing you on the abreviated version

Message 4 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'll add that recently (since late 2016) some existing Amex cardholders have been approved for a new/additional account with no HP, although it's YMMV.

There are quite a few reports on various threads of this, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.  I will add that my own new Amex ED was approved with no HP back in January (I was already an Amex cardholder). 

There's also a DoC article here:  http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-credit-card-approvals-without-hard-pull/

As far as CLIs go, I suppose anything is possible (that's my disclaimer) but I don't recall ever hearing of anybody getting a HP for a CLI request, at least not the last few years.  Just keep in mind that the "rules" are set by Amex, and of course could always change without notice.

Message 5 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

You get your card and want a CLI.... You wait 61 days and then hit the button and it's a SP.

If you add another revolver your first CLI on the 2nd card depends on when your last CLI was on the 1st card since you can only request a CLI on 1 card every 6 months once you get your first CLI at 61 days.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-helpful-links/m-p/4802617 - check the 3X guide for more info if I'm still confusing you on the abreviated version

Since I've had the card for 3 months now I decided to take your word for it and "hit the button" (since I'm gardening it was a leap of faith).

The lame part was that the web interface asks ME how much I want for the CLI -- I wish it just gave me whatever the algorithm saw fit.  I wanted to get greedy and double my limit but was afraid I'd end up denied.  So, I requested 60% of my current credit limit and it worked!  I would never have thought to ask for a CLI so soon, soft pull or not. So thank you!

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 6 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

UncleB wrote: 

...There's also a DoC article here:  http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-credit-card-approvals-without-hard-pull/

As far as CLIs go, I suppose anything is possible (that's my disclaimer) but I don't recall ever hearing of anybody getting a HP for a CLI request, at least not the last few years.  Just keep in mind that the "rules" are set by Amex, and of course could always change without notice.

Thank you for the link.

Thanks for that -- after both you and Austinguy chimed in I went for a CLI (per my above post).  You've got to be right because the interface asked me nothing and the approval was instant.  I guess I'd think that a hard pull would require more...effort somehow?  Take longer?  Want more information?  More akin to filling out a new credit card application.  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WhiteCleats wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

Since I've had the card for 3 months now I decided to take your word for it and "hit the button" (since I'm gardening it was a leap of faith).

The lame part was that the web interface asks ME how much I want for the CLI -- I wish it just gave me whatever the algorithm saw fit.  I wanted to get greedy and double my limit but was afraid I'd end up denied.  So, I requested 60% of my current credit limit and it worked!  I would never have thought to ask for a CLI so soon, soft pull or not. So thank you!

Congrats on the CLI but if you wanted more you should have asked as they will counter if they will only give you a lower amount. Just keep that in mind for the future   Also I highly recommend that you read the below linked thread's first pages and maybe some of the latest posts. All of your questions are in the thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

Message 8 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the CLI but if you wanted more you should have asked as they will counter if they will only give you a lower amount. Just keep that in mind for the future   Also I highly recommend that you read the below linked thread's first pages and maybe some of the latest posts. All of your questions are in the thread.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

Crap.  I wondered if that might not be the case.  Oh well, next time.  And thanks for the advice.  

I'll read the link so I don't seem like such a dumbass.  Smiley Wink

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 9 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah all that talk around the campfire about 3X CLI is just that.  You can ask for triple your limit after 61 days and they'll likely give it to you.

Now you know for when you try again in 6 months. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.