Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Preset Limit

tag
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Amex Platinum Preset Limit

Amex just informed me that they're imposing a preset limit of 5000.00 on my Platinum card, which is actually higher than my monthly spend of about 1500.00. Anyone else have this?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Preset Limit

Wow, you are paying a $550/yr AF on a card with a hard limit of $5k?

I assume the account must be new and AmEx is trying to see how you handle the account, but that seems like a really low limit for an AmEx Platinum card especially considering the AF.  

Message 2 of 15
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I've heard of this as the result of an FR. What lead to this? We definitely need more information.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The AF reflects the premium perks and is no indication of spending power.

These limits are occasionally reported following an FR or POI sharing that gives Amex only moderate concerns...not trivial enough for NPSL, not serious enough for a shutdown.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Annual fee has nothing to do with credit limit. Some high annual fee cards have minimum credit limits for approval but that’s typically tied to it being a higher tier V/MC

Being that Amex runs their own show there’s no different tiers.

I’ve seen Amex place hard limits for new accounts sometimes and after financial review. With good account useage the limit does normally get lifted at some point.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 15
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I've had the account for several years, but my credit score has dropped because I'm near the limit on some of my other cards, so that's likely the reason.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, the high utilization on your other cards caused Amex to give you a lower set limit. Once your utilization is under control, your internal limit with them will more than likely increase. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@koalablue wrote:
I've had the account for several years, but my credit score has dropped because I'm near the limit on some of my other cards, so that's likely the reason.

Definetely this reason. Amex reduced my limit to 1500 from 13k after I maxed out other cards but it usually takes about 3 to 4 months of continous max out balance reporting.

Message 8 of 15
DU556
Regular Contributor

Can anyone explain the preset limit a little more? Do you mean the credit card limit is $5k? Or you can only spend less than $5k at once?
Message 9 of 15
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

The credit card limit is 5K.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.