Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Preset Spending Limit Added

tag
dirknights
Valued Member

Amex Platinum Preset Spending Limit Added

I am a bit of a noob in regards to cards. I recently used my Platnium at a business that I am affiliated with. I didn't know that was a no-no. It was going to a Tesla downpayment. So Amex sent me a letter stating that they added a limit to my account. I was just wondering how long does it take to get this limit removed again? Anything that I should focus on (other than not using my card at an affiliated business)? I have two cards with Amex, the other is the Delta Reserve.

26 REPLIES 26
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Preset Spending Limit Added

Up to 1 year.  My account had a limit placed on it due to entering into a payment plan during Covid.

My year is up tomorrow 12/7.. 

I think any Adverse action and depending on the offense, can restrict your account for up to a year.

The most important thing I've learned about amex.. is no matter how much you spend... they don't need my business and could care less if I closed the account. 

Good luck.. 

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 2 of 27
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure there's a specific timeframe if you tripped some internal AMEX risk algorithm, did their letter ask you to provide any financial documentation or other info?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 27
dirknights
Valued Member

It did not. I also called to offer up my financial info for review, but it was no dice. Here's the letter:

Dear [redacted]: We are writing to you today because we have assigned a Spending Limit of $[redacted] to your account and we wanted you to be aware of this change as quickly as possible. If at any time your total balance, plus any charges not yet posted to your account, exceeds this Spending Limit, we may decline additional charges. This applies to charges made by you and any additional Card Members on your account. As your total balance, plus any charges not yet posted to your account, approaches this Spending Limit, you can make a payment to reduce this amount so you can make additional charges. You will receive an additional notification via email or mail with the reason(s) for our decision. Sincerely, American Express Account Services

Message 4 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned upthread, it can be up to a year or even longer -- no specific set timeframe. The process is automatic and manual review will not override the system.

What was the imposed limit?  And yes, don't do anything to draw attention or place any questionable transactions on any of your AmEx cards going forward as you're under the microscope for a bit.

Message 5 of 27
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Well in this case there isn't much to do other than being a good AMEX cardmember, paying on time and staying off their radar.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 27
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@dirknights wrote:
I am a bit of a noob in regards to cards. I recently used my Platnium at a business that I am affiliated with. I didn't know that was a no-no. It was going to a Tesla downpayment. So Amex sent me a letter stating that they added a limit to my account. I was just wondering how long does it take to get this limit removed again? Anything that I should focus on (other than not using my card at an affiliated business)? I have two cards with Amex, the other is the Delta Reserve.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wonder if someone could explain the bolded blue part of the above. By "affiliated with," does that mean that one is an owner, co-owner, investor, etc.? Or can it also mean an employee? This topic came up some months ago, but that had to do with a potentially shady deal of buying parts/products at their place of employment, then reselling them. I'd just like to know how/when is it a no-no to use a CC at a company you're affiliated with? HOW do you have to be affiliated with them in order for it to be a no-no? I'm as sure as I can be that the owners of the furniture store chain where I used to work used their CCs to buy merchandise all the time, as I did, and I'm 100% sure they wouldn't do anything shady!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 27
dirknights
Valued Member

I am a co-owner in the business, and that was the issue.  When the transaction was declined, I called them up, and they told me the reason. I explained to them that I didn't know that I couldn't do that... thinking about it, I guess it's kind of obvious why they did it... but I was considering it more or less as, a normal transaction. The company that I am affiliated with is a corporation, a completely separate legal entity. It's like if Bill Gates bought a copy of Microsoft Windows on his Amex and got dinged.  

Message 8 of 27
dirknights
Valued Member

This is unfortunate. I've had my other Amex card for a few years now, I've never had a late payment, charged about almost 100k in the past two years... it's unfortunate that they would put such a limit on my card for such a transaction without any information on how to get it removed. 

Message 9 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dirknights wrote:

This is unfortunate. I've had my other Amex card for a few years now, I've never had a late payment, charged about almost 100k in the past two years... it's unfortunate that they would put such a limit on my card for such a transaction without any information on how to get it removed. 

Unfortunately, that's the way of the world with AENB. Especially, if your other business (or affiliation with that entity) shared a merchant account.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.