Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 'Protection'

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 'Protection'

As we near the end of 2016 and entering 2017, it's got me thinking about the 'protection' American Express offers/offered. It's always been known that they're very consumer centric and will generally go far and beyond what other card issuers will do for their clients.

That brought me to two questions:

1. Does that still hold true today? Do they offer more protections and policies that are 'better' than cards from Visa/MC/Discover?

2. Does anyone strictly use their Amex for purchases because of above mentioned protections? Is it worth paying the AF on a PRG or Plat because if a purchase for a product or service goes sour, Amex will have your back. Aka paying for Peace of mind..

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Amex 'Protection'

You don't need the annual fee. I've filed both a return protection and an extended warranty claim, the latter being quite recently, on free US-issued cards. Zero hassle, product return, etc.

Discover adds price protection, which is nice, but their return protection, while I've never used it, my friend had to ship the item back (which is fair, but more hassle... Discover always requires this from my understanding, Amex only spot-checks claims).

Both are good and fair, but Amex is better for return/purchase/warranty protection I think, but Discover adds price protection. I've made one Discover price protection claim. It was easy but they sent a cheque. Why not just give a statement credit like Amex does for their claims.

Both are far better than my experience with Citi, which required notarised forms and stuff. Still, Citi eventually paid out. They just make it very hard.

P.S. Amex extended warranty isn't in every country... the UK doesn't have it.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 2 of 11
trant3
Established Contributor

I honestly make purchases with my Amex Plat just for the "protection" benefits. I recently filed a return protection claim with no hassle. I havent used any other protection services besides Amex's so couldnt tell ya how much better it is.

BTW - Is it me or am I just late in finding out that Chase FU card offers price and return protection? LOL

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've heard mixed things about Citi...they can cover lost items (which Amex doesn't Correction: Amex does, too, on some cards) and offer a longer extended warranty than Amex does.

I've also heard that Citi won't cover items damaged through regular wear and tear, while Amex will.

I don't have much experience with either because a lot of my major purchases are from Costco, and they've resolved my past problems quickly and favorably without involving my credit cards.

Online you will see an occasional "I'm never using Amex again!" thread after they settle a dispute in the merchant's favor.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I don't have much experience with either because a lot of my major purchases are from Costco, and they've resolved my past problems quickly and favorably without involving my credit cards.

Most retailers (Well, excepting Nordstrom) should take a lesson from Costco... My 6 year old Vision Kamado grill started falling apart recently. I wanted a new one. They no longer have them available.. So, they refunded my purchase price.. in cash.. no hassle at all....    

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Satisfaction" issues or matters of opinion are typically the only time when we side with the merchant. Don't book a stay at the Red Roof Inn and then call us afterwards to dispute the charge because you didn't receive Ritz-Carlton service. We will protect you according to the contract you both agreed to at time of charge.. and just to correct wascb14, American Express does also cover "lost" items for Platinum and Centurion Cards.

Message 6 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Satisfaction" issues or matters of opinion are typically the only time when we side with the merchant. Don't book a stay at the Red Roof Inn and then call us afterwards to dispute the charge because you didn't receive Ritz-Carlton service. We will protect you according to the contract you both agreed to at time of charge.. and just to correct wascb14, American Express does also cover "lost" items for Platinum and Centurion Cards.

^^^^ As usual, well said!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My buddy bought a new surfboard for a Costa Rica trip and the day we got back it was taken out of his backyard!  Luckily he used his Amex so he was able to get another new board while mine remained all dinged up from the flight Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I primarily use my Amex for large purchases and in case i want warranty/purchase/return protection, plus nice meals for the 2x dining. 

Never have to worry bout my purchase with amex but with other card brands I wouldnt be too sure. 

Chase is primarily good for their fraud protection so I'll use them for small to medium online purchases.. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason I ask is because I'll be going to a work convention (CES2017) in January and because of the massive amount of people coming from all over the place, my colleague and I had to resort to using an airliner and hotel that aren't top tier. I would want all the protections I can get when dealing with merchants that aren't known for the best customer service, especially during the havoc of CES week. I ended up booking using my United Mileage card.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.