Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Shifting Credit Limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex - Shifting Credit Limits

I know that American Express will sometimes decrease the credit limit on one card when you're approved for a new card. I've also heard that we can move credit limits around some. Could you do that right after approval? 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex - Shifting Credit Limits

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that American Express will sometimes decrease the credit limit on one card when you're approved for a new card. I've also heard that we can move credit limits around some. Could you do that right after approval? 

I have done it many times, under services on the Amex website. You can also call in.

I believe you must leave $500-$1000 on the donor card

edit: I personally have never had them decrease one card to another on approval but YEMV

Message 2 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Very easy to move limits with amex must leave 500 as stated on donor card use to be once ever months, but believe that restriction has also been removed if i recall correctly.. I moved most of my limits to business credit from personal with them once that is done you cant move back to personal though which kinda stinks, but all good overall

Message 3 of 27
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have done it many times, under services on the Amex website. You can also call in.

I believe you must leave $500-$1000 on the donor card

edit: I personally have never had them decrease one card to another on approval but YEMV

I applied for BCE a few years ago as Amex refused to pc Blue to BCE.  Before the BCE arrived I received a letter advising that the limit on Blue was reduced (significantly) due to the BCE approval. Letter went on to inform that the decision was final.

I phoned the number on the letter and told the rep I didn't want the BCE. Please cancel that account. Credit limit was restored to Blue. BCE remained at the approved limit.

I have never tried to get a CLI from Amex. The limit is adequated for my needs.

Message 4 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Very easy to move limits with amex must leave 500 as stated on donor card use to be once ever months, but believe that restriction has also been removed if i recall correctly.. I moved most of my limits to business credit from personal with them once that is done you cant move back to personal though which kinda stinks, but all good overall

It's been a while since I did this, but I recall the process was seamless.  Now, if a CL is reallocated, does that impact the 3x CLI schedule on either card whether it's the recipient or the donor?  My memory is a bit foggy on that piece 😛🤔. 

Message 5 of 27
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

It's been a while since I did this, but I recall the process was seamless.  Now, if a CL is reallocated, does that impact the 3x CLI schedule on either card whether it's the recipient or the donor?  My memory is a bit foggy on that piece 😛🤔. 

Only CLI initiated by the customer resets the clock, everything else from new apps, reallocation, or auto CLIs don't reset the clock

Message 6 of 27
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Only CLI initiated by the customer resets the clock, everything else from new apps, reallocation, or auto CLIs don't reset the clock

+1 I can confirm this ^^^^^^^^

Message 7 of 27
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I am still limited to once a month on personal, was denied at about 28 days, but approved for CL shift after 31 days.

this was about 2-3 months ago in timeframe.

Message 8 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar was unsure on this as well, but appears others know the answer Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this thread , I did not know you could reallocate credit lines between Amex cards , I transferred 5k CL to my Amex everyday which only had a 2,000 SL now at 7k , took 5k away from my 45k Amex Hilton surpass Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.